The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Pics

justuschickens59

VA Royal Blues
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Virginia
This thread is to post pictures and discuss the beautiful English Orps. Please, no discussion on APA standards, auctions, etc. We just want to see pictures and talk about this beautiful eye candy.

Winston and Clementine are our English Blue Orpingtons that we imported last year. I took some photos today of their oldest chicks, The O's (Olympia and Octavia), Hagrid, Rumples, and Bluebell, and thought I would share.

Bluebell - she is such a pretty little girl
Bluebell08-13-10.jpg

Hagrid
Hagrid8-13-10.jpg

Hagrid and Octavia
HagridandOctavia08-13-10.jpg

Hagrid and Olympia
HagridandOlympia08-13-10.jpg

Rumples
Rumples08-13-10.jpg

The Three Butts - Hagrid and The O's
ThreebuttsTheOsandHagrid08-13-10.jpg

The O's, Bluebell, and Hagrid
TheOsBluebellHagrid08-13-10.jpg

The O's, Hagrid, and Rumples
WaCChicks08-13-10.jpg

The O's
TheOs08-13-2010.jpg

Olympia
Olympia08-13-2010.jpg

Rumples and Bluebell - I love this picture
RumplesandBluebell08-13-10.jpg

The O's
TheOs08-13-10.jpg

Octavia - I think she is absolutely stunning, if I do say so myself.
Octavia08-13-2010.jpg

Last edited:
With great sadness I must announce that my dear sweet bantam Orpington hen, Cookie, passed away on Sunday. She was the queen of all broody hens and mother to most of my flock.

For the 1st few years of her life, Cookie was my only bantam. She hatched along with full-sized orps and could hold her own. She knew how to use her size and speed to dash in & under the others to steal all the best treats. Cookie earned the nickname, "the bantam menace," because of her stealthy actions (and our Star Wars theme).

Cookie was an adorable ball of feathers and looked like a mini hot air balloon when broody. She could also pancake herself to accommodate up to 8-9 large fowl eggs. We called her "Cookie Monster" when broody. Because our roos were always large English Orpingtons, Cookie never had any biological offspring, but that never seemed to bother her. Going broody early & often was her mode of operandi . Her motto was, "If it peeps, it's MINE!" She never seemed to quit. She could scream like a banshee but was never "pecky" toward my fingers.

Cookie earned the title of Queen Broody not because of her large spread or hatching ability but for her multiple adoptions. She raised bantams, large fowl chicks, ducklings, turkeys, and quail. If it peeped, Cookie would care for it. Because she was small, it was easier for us to add Cookie to the big brooder and just let her adopt all the chicks. Her record was over 3 dozen! She happened to go broody about 3-4 days before a big hatch was due. I pulled one egg out at lockdown and slipped it under her..... then added the incubator chicks a few at a time as they hatched. She must have thought she was "SuperHen." She sat on ONE egg for 3 days and hatched over 3 dozen chicks! Thankfully Cookie couldn't count, so as some chicks were sold, more were added the following week. She could easily handle chicks of different ages and species. (I certainly wouldn't try that with any other hen.) To Cookie, learning how to scratch was the most important lesson for her chicks. It didn't matter if there was a full bowl of chick feed. Cookie would tidbit to her babies and go into a scratching frenzy - spreading food everywhere and sometimes even sending an unlucky chick flying across the brooder. LOL

Last summer Cookie started laying soft shelled eggs. Extra calcium didn't help. I felt relieved when she was broody because it paused her egg production. She never really laid another normal egg and I knew she had some type of reproduction disorder. About 2 months ago, Cookie started slowing down and losing weight. A lump under her vent began to grow. She ate and drank and hung out with my laced orps, but she no longer "ran around" like she used to. She would come when called - but at a walking pace. Like a true orpington, she never lost her desire to eat. After she passed, I did a necropsy and found a large lash egg. (Salpingitis) My only good news is that she is no longer in pain.

RIP My Sweet Little Cookie
April 22, 2013 - March 28, 2021
This is how I will always remember her:
IMG_9339.JPG

Inflation
IMG_7895 copy.jpg

Hot chicks in cars. (My daughter actually played with Cookie like a baby doll, so seeing her driving around the bedroom with Barbie wasn't unusual.)​
hot chicks in cars.jpg

Cookie asking herself, "Why did I want to go broody again?"​
IMG_2175.JPG

Below: The only picture I have where Cookie's feet can be seen.​
Cookie.jpg

"No Cookie! Stop trying to incubate that!"​
IMG_8255.JPG

A rare sight - Cookie without chicks
Cookie copy.jpg

IMG_2001.JPG
cookie brooder.jpg

cookie puffy.jpg

Spring 2020 hatch (Yes, most are turkey poults)
5-30.JPG
Cookie and her baby turkeys
6-3 Cookie.JPG

IMG_1675.JPG

Don't you just love a good broody scowl?!​
IMG_9682.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG

Thought I'd post a few photos of Winston and Clementine, the proud parents. I know I've posted these before, but what the heck
big_smile.png

Clementine
Clementine02-20-10.jpg

Clementine
Clementine3a03-10-10.jpg

Clementine
Clementine03-10-10.jpg

Winston
Winston303-10-10.jpg

Winston
Winston501-25-10.jpg

Winston
Winston02-20-10.jpg

Winston
Winston03-10-10.jpg

Winston and Clementine
WinstonClementineBlossomJewel01-07-.jpg

Winston and Clementine
WinstonClementineBlossom01-25-10.jpg

Winston and Clementine
WinstonandClementine01-07-10.jpg

Winston and Clementine
WinstonandClementine01-07-2010.jpg

Can someone explain to me the difference between Isabel and Lavender color? I dont want to start any fights LOL but the Isabel looks to be just a lavender with tan/gold leakage on the hackle, saddle, and shoulder feathers?? do they breed the same as lavenders? Black x Isabel = Black Isabel Splits?

"Isabel" genetically is Lavender diluted Crele. Crele is Cuckoo/Barred Partridge. Lavender, is Lavender. It is it's own gene and is sometimes also referred to as Self-Blue.

The reason Isabel "looks to be just a lavender with tan/gold leakage on the hackle, saddle, and shoulder feathers??" is because Lavender doesn't only dilute the black based parts of a birds plumage but also the red/orange parts of the feathers. So the black barring turns pale gray (Lavender) and the red/orange of a Partridge bird turns yellow/pale gold.

The pastel hue of the Isabel color makes it hard to discern the bird's pattern. Conversely, depending on how well patterned underneath the Lavender dilution is could attribute to the lack of definition in the bird.

Breeding a Black cock bird to a Isabel hen will produce single barred male offspring and solid Black female offspring. All with red/gold leakage (especially in the males) and all recessively carrying 1 copy of the Lavender gene.

Breeding a Isabel cock bird to a Black hen will produce single barred male offspring and barred female offspring. All again with red/gold leakage and all recessively carrying 1 copy of the Lavender gene.
Thanks for the compliments, those are my pride and joy :)

I call my birds Isabel Cuckoo but genetically they are Isabel Partridge Cuckoo Orpingtons. (Lavender Crele) I shortened the name a bit :)
This is what most people call them in England.

As far as breeding to blacks, I am not entirely sure and a genetics guru might need to chime in on this one. I would assume you are correct though about the splits unless someone else chimes in who is better at genetics than I am.

TheNuttyChick: Isabel and Porcelain are two different colors. Porcelain is Isabel with the mottling gene.
Quick correction, Porcelain is not Isabel with the Mottling gene.
Isabel withe the mottling gene essentially would be a Lavender Mottled Barred/Cuckoo Partridge bird. Which in the males would look almost solid white, with a gray cast and sort of Exchequer-esque in the females.They might look something like the Fifty-Five Flower Hens but replace the Black parts of the birds with Lavender.

fifty-five-flowery-hens.jpg

Porcelain is Mille Fleur with the Lavender gene, there is no Barring involved.

Porcelain-Belgian-Bearded-Duccle-Bantam-Pullet.jpg

To create Porcelain Orpingtons you would simply breed Jubilee and Lavender Orpingtons together, then breed their offspring together until you got the desired color result.

Last edited:
Here's my "big butt" boy
IMG_5174 (3).JPG
IMG_5171.JPG
IMG_5180 (2).JPG

Here's the other guy with the nice face.
IMG_5141 (2).JPG

Both seem to have good temperaments. (Run up to greet me & Follow me around if they think treats may be involved. Not cuddly but not much fuss to pick up and carry around.) I'm leaning toward the 1st one (cockerel with the better body) but I'm going to give them more time.

Back
Top Bottom