The Incubator Thread

Like I said----I do not do this and if I ever wanted to----I would have to gather some info. I have hatched 1000's and 1000's and have never seen were I needed to do it.

Because you aren't obsessive like some of us.
gig.gif

gig.gif
might be it's us moms , I know I worry a lot and this is my first time, did an eggtopsy on the one that stunck but not posting it here only took me all morning to get the nerve up to do it.

I do appreciate all the input from people though, thinking the incubator going wonky on lock down was my biggest problem. Next time gonna try building a separate one for hatching in as I now know this one freaks me out to hatch in, but thanks to you guys that have done this before I came through it with my sanity intact.

obviously need more coffee still and hopefully some pics will be posting soon

also this is where I got the idea to try a float test
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ng-egg-viability-for-late-or-overdue-hatching

Last edited:
I had a lady that invited me to see her baby ducklings, she said 4 eggs didn't hatch she was waiting, I did a sniff on the eggs, boy I was sorry quick!, any way I think 2 were bad and the other 2 were good, but mom left them in nest to attend her babies, so I took those eggs home and hatched them.

might be it's us moms , I know I worry a lot and this is my first time, did an eggtopsy on the one that stunck but not posting it here only took me all morning to get the nerve up to do it.

I do appreciate all the input from people though, thinking the incubator going wonky on lock down was my biggest problem. Next time gonna try building a separate one for hatching in as I now know this one freaks me out to hatch in, but thanks to you guys that have done this before I came through it with my sanity intact.

obviously need more coffee still and hopefully some pics will be posting soon

also this is where I got the idea to try a float test
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ng-egg-viability-for-late-or-overdue-hatching

I saw your pic in the bag, but didn't comment there. The bag obscures a lot, but it looks to me like they quit very early, day 10 or less.

I had a lady that invited me to see her baby ducklings, she said 4 eggs didn't hatch she was waiting, I did a sniff on the eggs, boy I was sorry quick!, any way I think 2 were bad and the other 2 were good, but mom left them in nest to attend her babies, so I took those eggs home and hatched them.

Neat! Baby ducklings are still my favorites. Was this recently? Where's the pics?
big_smile.png

gig.gif
LOL, I am Too------obsessive. Did alot of home-work, personal studying, solving problems----dreamed Incubating---watch the broodies, for info, etc, etc, built my own incubator and hatcher, bought several used ones--think about this----in the last 1 1/2 years I have built/bought 5 cabinet incubators(GQF, Dickies, etc) built a cabinet Hatcher, bought around 10 more styrofoam to go with the 2 I had. I have hatched over 5500 chicks in a little over a year---I got 19 heated brooders, some unheated grow pens, 63 chicken pens, I got chicken pens that I have not even put up yet, I got a room full of feeders, waterers, wire I have not used----I got probably 100 nexting boxes I bought in the last 1 1/2 years that I am not using "Yet"------With this info----Do You Feel I am Obsessive----LOL-----I would say---Yep I am very Obsessive---The reason I do not do a float test is----I just mainly got to about 100% hatch rate----sometimes I got down to 95% but not often. So I did not have any to float???

Last edited:
Yeah thought it was just behind, it was moving at the 14 day candle but looked like it was behind the others

not sure if this makes a difference but I'm also about 5k ft elevation, couldn't find any info locally though

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom