The Incubator Thread

I set the eggs vertically in the tray. I lean tray several times a day. Are eggs for hatching must be positioned vertically or horizontally?

I set the eggs vertically in the tray. I lean tray several times a day. Are eggs for hatching must be positioned vertically or horizontally?
If they are sitting up, they need to be leaned from side to side at least 3 times a day. If they are laying down they need to be rolled 3 times a day. I mark one side with an "O" and the other side with an "X". That way I know which side to roll them to.

This is what I do.

Here they are April 1st
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Then April 4th and I can barley keep them from running
wee.gif

I set 7 more eggs into the incubator today
pop.gif

All of those eggs and only hose eggs hatched

Most of my eggs come from my yard so I do not tend to fill up my incubator once a month but rather a few eggs when I get them so I might add one egg or two eggs and some times I may save some eggs for several days then put them in as a couple of days ago I put in seven eggs but it took me four days to get the eggs I wanted to fill up the incubator so I have different eggs hatching on different days or several hatches a week .

Most of my eggs come from my yard so I do not tend to fill up my incubator once a month but rather a few eggs when I get them so I might add one egg or two eggs and some times I may save some eggs for several days then put them in as a couple of days ago I put in seven eggs but it took me four days to get the eggs I wanted to fill up the incubator so I have different eggs hatching on different days or several hatches a week .
I can tell thats what you were/are doing. I do the same thing kinda, but I collect and set eggs once a week on a bigger scale. I have picked up incubators like yours used for $10 to $25 on craigslist, auctions, etc to use as a hatcher. Then I move the 18/19 day old eggs from the incubator to it to hatch. When hatched I unplug it and clean, getting it ready for the next batch of eggs in a couple days. That way my incubator and turner always stays clean because no eggs are hatching in it, plus no worry of chicks getting caught in the turner. Good Luck with all your hatches!

Last edited:
Well got my reminders set on phone, set 42 eggs at once yesterday morning. Think I like the incubator more than broody hens at least it isn't as scary. We had one hen decide to brood should be hatching anytime started with 30 eggs and over time has tossed 6 out. Problem is now everyone wants to go broody

Back
Top Bottom