The Incubator Thread

Today is day twenty eight on my bator! Hopefully I'll get some ducklings soon.
They typically hatch around the same time you put them in, right? Because is so mine won't hatch till tonight.

No, some will hatch earlier, some a little later---if You had the temp and humidity right and its day 28 some should already be pipping/hatching-------what "date" did you set them on?

Last edited:
So recently I've been asked and questioned on why I think it's better to have the incubator in a dark secluded place.
Usually the first answer I give is, it's natural for the eggs since when a hen, duck, goose etc. Sits on the eggs it is dark and secluded.

But I'm looking for other opinions and why you think that the incubator should be placed where you have it.

Today is day twenty eight on my bator! Hopefully I'll get some ducklings soon.
They typically hatch around the same time you put them in, right? Because is so mine won't hatch till tonight.

If you don't have any pips yet, they likely won't hatch tonite. Its not an exact thing, because of temp fluctuations, etc. Normally they will pip on day 26/27, and hatch on day 28, but its only a guideline. Have you not seen any pips yet?

So recently I've been asked and questioned on why I think it's better to have the incubator in a dark secluded place.
Usually the first answer I give is, it's natural for the eggs since when a hen, duck, goose etc. Sits on the eggs it is dark and secluded.

But I'm looking for other opinions and why you think that the incubator should be placed where you have it.

I don't necessarily agree with dark. Even a broody will get off the nest throughout incubation, and the eggs can get light.

My main goal with my incubator is draft-free, and as close to consistent temperature as possible (not near a window or air vent). Nearing the end of incubation, I leave a lamp on overnight, and during the day, the room light is left on. So mine are never in pitch blackness for about the last week. Not saying its right, or recommended.... that's just the way I do it.

Mine is where I got them because that is where the space was. Well I might of had to move a thing or too. As far as a dark place----my main incubator was in my well lite home for months and then it was moved to a darker place, but some times I leave the light on in that room. Had no effect on the hatch. Almost 100% every hatch for 5700+ eggs, set weekly for over a year. I have not tested this myself but I do not see where it would help me. Sure I would not want a real bright light shining on the egg all the time.

What I have found with all this Incubating is----"what works best for me and my location" is what I do. I do not weigh my eggs, I only candle on day 18-----some times if I want a little more room I candle of day 12. I never mark a air cell or monitor the air cell.. I put my eggs into lock-down with the proper humidity/temp and would threaten to break some ones arm if they opened my incubator during that time. I open it up on day 22 for the first time since day 18 and remove the chicks----which most all hatch----this is what works for me!!

In your test---if they hatch better in a dark place for you----turn the light off---you do what works best for you!! Good Luck

Last edited:
So I have 6 duck eggs in my Incubator and it's day 29 I think... I read that you shouldn't count the set date as day 1 so if that's correct then it's day 28. The temp reads at 98.9-99.1 degrees and 55% humidity, but I still don't see any movement or pipping. Should I try candling them quickly to see if they are even alive? Or just let them sit for another day? I've never done this so I'm kinda nervous.

So I have 6 duck eggs in my Incubator and it's day 29 I think... I read that you shouldn't count the set date as day 1 so if that's correct then it's day 28. The temp reads at 98.9-99.1 degrees and 55% humidity, but I still don't see any movement or pipping. Should I try candling them quickly to see if they are even alive? Or just let them sit for another day? I've never done this so I'm kinda nervous.

Correct, you do not count the "set" day. Or count it as Zero, if you prefer. Easiest way to remember is if you set on a Monday, they should hatch on a Monday, etc. (dependent on breed, of course, as some differ)

By day 28, mallard-derived ducks, you really should have some pips, at least. What kind of ducks, what kind of bator, what have your conditions been throughout? Did you mist the eggs (not necessary, I'm just asking). Did you candle through incubation, if so, when was the last time?

Edit to add... BREATHE!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Correct, you do not count the "set" day. Or count it as Zero, if you prefer. Easiest way to remember is if you set on a Monday, they should hatch on a Monday, etc. (dependent on breed, of course, as some differ)

By day 28, mallard-derived ducks, you really should have some pips, at least. What kind of ducks, what kind of bator, what have your conditions been throughout? Did you mist the eggs (not necessary, I'm just asking). Did you candle through incubation, if so, when was the last time?

Edit to add... BREATHE!
big_smile.png

They are Pekins, in a still air bator I got from Tractor Supply. Everything temperature and humidity wise has been pretty consistent through out the incubation process, the temp has been 98.9-99.1 (I know it should be higher but I couldn't ever get it there) and the humidity was between 40-50% until lockdown now it's 50-60%. Also I did mist the eggs today quickly because the humidity was getting slightly low. I did candle through incubation as well, the last time I did was probably 6 days ago an when I id here were three that I could see the ducklings moving around.

They are Pekins, in a still air bator I got from Tractor Supply. Everything temperature and humidity wise has been pretty consistent through out the incubation process, the temp has been 98.9-99.1 (I know it should be higher but I couldn't ever get it there) and the humidity was between 40-50% until lockdown now it's 50-60%. Also I did mist the eggs today quickly because the humidity was getting slightly low. I did candle through incubation as well, the last time I did was probably 6 days ago an when I id here were three that I could see the ducklings moving around.

I hope you are not going by the built in thermometers in the incubator-----Most of them are so far off there is no hope. One person on here in the last couple days said they bought 2 different thermometers and placed them in this type incubator and they were off 10 degrees----it was 109 in the incubator---every thing was fried. Hope that's not your case. If so calling the company that built them/distributes them for Tractor Supply does no good----I have a close friend that bought 3 incubators the same day----3 weeks later Nothing----She called me and I told her to place another thermometer in them----about 10 degree's higher than the thermometer on it said------Lost all--10 dozen eggs that she bought to hatch---- She called the distributing company---she was very upset---and stayed on the phone for a long time with them----only thing she got was her money back for the incubators---its sad.

Last edited:
I hope you are not going by the built in thermometers in the incubator-----Most of them are so far off there is no hope. One person on here in the last couple days said they bought 2 different thermometers and placed them in this type incubator and they were off 10 degrees----it was 109 in the incubator---every thing was fried. Hope that's not your case. If so calling the company that built them/distributes them for Tractor Supply does no good----I have a close friend that bought 3 incubators the same day----3 weeks later Nothing----She called me and I told her to place another thermometer in them----about 10 degree's higher than the thermometer on it said------Lost all--10 dozen eggs that she bought to hatch---- She called the distributing company---she was very upset---and that stayed on the phone for a long time with them----only thing she got was her money back for the incubators---its sad.

I was going by the built in thermometer.... I'll place a different thermometer in there and see what it says.

Back
Top Bottom