The Incubator Thread

Hi! I am lucky enough to own a Brinsea Mini Advance, which is fab. However, it only holds seven eggs at any one time. I really want to get a larger incubator but do not want to spend much money. I know everyone says that the words 'cheap' and 'reliable' never occur in the same sentence, but I'm hoping I could get some feedback on this incubator that I found on ebay. Lots of people seem to be successfully using them, so perhaps someone has a view on it? Thank you very much
big_smile.png
smile.png
I have heard so many bad things about them on the "web" and from Locals on FB groups. I would not buy one. I too would go with the GQF hovabator if you do not want to spend a lot.

I too have heard mixed things about these. Often they don't give acurate readings and require a lot of babysitting. I'm afraid they are also on the unsafe imported list ~ http://www.brinsea.co.uk/importedincubators/

Have you checked out the incubator shop? They sell cheaper brands but are tested safe ~ http://www.theincubatorshop.co.uk/
They are also most helpful if you give them a call and you have the backup of buying from a trusted source :D

Thank you Yorkshire coop! I will check out the link! :D:D

Hi! I am lucky enough to own a Brinsea Mini Advance, which is fab. However, it only holds seven eggs at any one time. I really want to get a larger incubator but do not want to spend much money. I know everyone says that the words 'cheap' and 'reliable' never occur in the same sentence, but I'm hoping I could get some feedback on this incubator that I found on ebay. Lots of people seem to be successfully using them, so perhaps someone has a view on it? Thank you very much
big_smile.png
smile.png

I had one. Like many have said, there are mixed reviews on it. Personally, I thought the on-board sensors were horrible, but if you have reliable (accuracy-tested) thermometers and hygrometers, these units can work. I had a few successful hatches before mine wouldn't hold temp. I think it is either the temp sensor or the heater itself, but I got a Brinsea, so I never fixed this one. I did buy it used, and the person I got it from had used it quite a bit.

I would NOT recommend using one of these in an area where the ambient temps fluctuate.... unlike the Brinsea that I would trust wherever I decided to put it.

I would say if you can afford better, then get better. But if you can keep an eye on it and need inexpensive, then it is workable.

There is also a thread here somewhere with simple modifications that really help these units also, like padding the outside with duct-wrap, etc. So if you decide to buy one, consider looking at the modifications.

big_smile.png
smile.png

Befoe I bought my brinsea 20, i found one like this as well. It looks very cheap and i had a bad feeling it wold not be what I wanted. I also heard mixed things about it. So I saved the money and bought the brinsea 20. I am very satisfied with it. Hatch rates are 100% so far. it also keeps me from hatching too many.

If you go for cheap thats exactly what you will get. save up if you have to but buy better quality. They are so worth it.

Befoe I bought my brinsea 20, i found one like this as well. It looks very cheap and i had a bad feeling it wold not be what I wanted. I also heard mixed things about it. So I saved the money and bought the brinsea 20. I am very satisfied with it. Hatch rates are 100% so far. it also keeps me from hatching too many.

If you go for cheap thats exactly what you will get. save up if you have to but buy better quality. They are so worth it.

I have to agree with this. More expensive yes but it saves an awful lots of heart ache and the Brinsea is totally hassle free. Love my 20 with humidity pump but I really do fancy a Brinsea ova easy cabinet :oops:

This is my very first incubator, I have the Brinsea Mini Advance and it SEEMS to be absolutely perfect. Though I'm curious how accurate the built in thermometer is? I added a second one and it was about 2 degrees difference and I've read that just a degree off can ruin your chicks so it scares me.

How has your guys experience been with incubators, does it read the correct temp?

This is my very first incubator, I have the Brinsea Mini Advance and it SEEMS to be absolutely perfect. Though I'm curious how accurate the built in thermometer is? I added a second one and it was about 2 degrees difference and I've read that just a degree off can ruin your chicks so it scares me. 

How has your guys experience been with incubators, does it read the correct temp?

You can also rotate them to the two areas throughout their incubation. For instance, mine is warmer in the front; every few days the front row gets moved to the back and everyone shifts forward.

Hi all I'm newer to chickens and would like to know people's thoughts on egg incubators I would love one that you can keep on a counter or table that is self sustaining with a viewing window. A set it and check on it model so any info on brands/models for a decent price I would love input

Back
Top Bottom