The Joys of Owning Imported Orpingtons

Please be VERY careful with your culls specially when you are creating new colors.. Not culling properly can really make a mess of the gene pool.

I plan on keeping him. What are you saying can be done with him? I am only wondering how close to his standard he is. Only got chickens a year ago, but I really enjoy learning everything I can.

The red bleed makes him a pet or a project. Selling chicks (as Orpingtons) from him would be out of the question (I mix colors for projects, but any split chicks I permanently mark, and if I decide not to keep them, I give them away as barnyard mix... Orpington never comes out of my mouth. If you wanted to cross him out to a jubilee again you can maybe get some blue jubilee babies, but stay away from any BBS or chocolate breedings with him. Chicken genetics are complicated, and mixing the colors can get ugly if you are wanting to keep the value of your birds, however if all you want is a handsome rooster, and you like the look of him- then Enjoy him!

I am considering cross chocolate rooster to blue, black, and splash hens. What do I get from this cross?
Mated to blue you'll get some mauve (pullets only.)
Mated to black you'll get males that are black but rec carrying chocolate and females that are pure chocolate.
Not 100% sure about splash so I'd hate to say

Back
Top Bottom