The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Thanks for 'splainin'
.....that's what it is all About.....all just 'Sharing Tidbits' here and there....and 'Seeing' that you Aren't the only 1 that 'Faces' the same 'Situation' out there....gaining in knowledge that ya can 'Share' with another of the 'Flock'.....there was a 'Time' I didn't know either....but ending up getting some....Beautiful bird....so, I don't mind sharing what I've learned hanging around here.

So do all ducks need nest boxes to start laying because mine should have started a while back and still no eggs
1f625.png

I have a question ab khaki campbells laying- we have 7-4 females and 3 males. Hope to get more ducklings in spring. We bought these as almost adults, they should start laying soon. They used to coop up w the chickens, but have found the pond and don't return to the coop at night anymore. We have a great pyr that patrols the farm at night and she doesn't seem to bother them (though she does not like the chickens ...)

My question is- where might I find their nest and what will it look like? Should I just try to watch and see where they go/the behaviors? Will the females all sit on one nest or make separate nests? Im really anxious about finding their eggs, because that's why we wanted them. When we free ranged the chicken they would go out as well, and just decided the pond was a better fit for them than the coop ;)

Thanks for any help- we are first time ducks owners. =)

You might find them in a nest - they often hide them under bushes or sheds or trailers or logs . . . anywhere they can hide.

They also may be dropping them into the pond.

I have a question ab khaki campbells laying- we have 7-4 females and 3 males. Hope to get more ducklings in spring. We bought these as almost adults, they should start laying soon. They used to coop up w the chickens, but have found the pond and don't return to the coop at night anymore. We have a great pyr that patrols the farm at night and she doesn't seem to bother them (though she does not like the chickens ...)

My question is- where might I find their nest and what will it look like? Should I just try to watch and see where they go/the behaviors? Will the females all sit on one nest or make separate nests? Im really anxious about finding their eggs, because that's why we wanted them. When we free ranged the chicken they would go out as well, and just decided the pond was a better fit for them than the coop ;)

Thanks for any help- we are first time ducks owners. =)

My Khaki campbells all lay at night when they are locked up. We sort of have to know where they lay and look for their eggs because they are often buried under the straw and you can't see them from just looking at the top.
How old are yours? I think all ours started laying right around the five month mark.

I am currently trying to find out how old they are. They had just feathered out good when we got them, about 2 months ago? My husband got them as a surprise for me and doesn't remember how old they were at the time.

OH NO! They could be dropping them in the pond?! That would be tragic haha I will check under the coop- they like it under there, but I have no idea where they go at night ... I may be on a mission this evening!

They don't sleep on the water, do they?

Here is a bad pic of them this afternoon- we have apparently adopted a little wild Teal duck during migration- she has been here a few weeks, so maybe she plans to stay. =)

14610930_10210521727669035_7905905295777293499_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom