The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

I was surprised with these by my Uncle this last Saturday. I can only guess, three of what I think are Penkin and three maybe Khaki Campbell. One of the Khaki is twice as large, maybe it was a leftover from the previous shipment.
As seen in the photo I have chicks. I'm making due and trying to keep them all happy.

My biggest worry though is..when will the males attempt to find a female?
From what I've read so far.. They're deadly to hens until they have a mate. I would rather separate them before I have any accidents.

Thanks for any and all responses!
You will definately know in a few months, My misfortune was at first having 2 drakes and 1 female. They bred her night and day, if one did, the other soon followed. This killed her, they NOW 4 drakes,(straight run is not the way to buy ducks in my opinion and you can get sexed birds from stromberg's hatchery, price includes delivery.) Then turned to my hens as stated in another post. So far, the last one has left them alone. Ducks, (khakis at least) don't pair up like mallards and geese. Be prepared to deal with the extra drakes. Buy females if needed, you will save money, time and misfortune if you do this. They are a blast to watch, but for me, many females that lay eggs wherever they sit down at the time, is not worth the headache as all my stock is free ranged. OR be prepared to isolate the drakes, they WILL Go through the motions of breeding with each other. From what i seen they ganged up on one, or paired off in two's and fight for control. The hormones were flying and the act was not driven by a female, or a species.

Any thoughts boy vs girl for the 8 wk old KCs? The one on the left is a runner duck.

I'm assuming they are Khaki Campbell. TSC told me they were Rouen and they definitely aren't that. Not sure what breed the one on the left is.

My ducks do NOT like chickens. We have a fence that separates the ducks from the chickens and whenever a chicken walks by them, one will kinda shake the back of its neck and kinda puff up its neck (I am not sure if that's normal, it's like vibrating its neck...) and they all kinda "challenge" the chicken. And start quacking. It's taking the ducks FOREVER to learn how to get in the kiddie pool. I put this big flat rock near the pool to give them a 'boost' up and also a ramp....still no clue
1f602.png
my small dark KC has yet to figure it out while my other two some how manage to get in (when they get out they forget how they got in it seems like, they try but they can't)

They also still hate me, and can't figure out how to eat the peas I throw to them XD
1f602.png
but I love them anyways, they're fun to watch and super cute! (They are a lot more entertaining then my chickens lol)

Back
Top Bottom