The Ko Shamo Thread

My oldest growouts are big enough now that they have been banded with ABA bands. I'll have to see about getting some pictures of them.

Quick picture of my oldest growouts:

ko growouts 1.JPG

I let a hen hatch some eggs. All three hatched, but one chick died shortly after, not sure why. The other two are doing well though. The hen is an extremely protective mother. She's acting like a little velociraptor, haha. The cock that is paired with her is also doing very well with the babies.

I'm getting eggs again :) One of my hens has started up, and one or maybe even two of the growouts from this year. I hadn't split them into breeding groups yet, but I guess I'd better!

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself but it's 39° in south Georgia this morning (cold for us this time of year) and all the outside KS are no worse for the wear, including these 2020 growouts.

Attachments

• 20201103_065204.jpg
    20201103_065204.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 16
I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself but it's 39° in south Georgia this morning (cold for us this time of year) and all the outside KS are no worse for the wear, including these 2020 growouts.

Mine are in an unheated garage/workshop for the winter. They do okay, I've found, in the thirties, but they wouldn't be okay outside when we drop into the negatives, so in they come every winter.

Really proud of this four month old. I know there are much better birds out there but I've come a long way from my humble beginnings. Was really hoping for a crele but it looks like he'll be a dirty barred.
20201103_165936.jpg

Did you see the proposed changes to the Standard? A lot of breeders not very happy with them proposing that the wheaten color on females should be the same as a Modern.

Also, as we've been taking a look at the SOP, as it stands now, the tail being the way it's supposed to be on a Ko could actually get them DQ'd. Hasn't happened yet, but it could. There's hope of fixing that.

Then again, I once had a judge DQ one of my pullets for having split wing, which IS in the SOP. So...

I didn't know any of that, thank you. I'm not at a point of having the luxury of breeding for color yet ( I get a lot of dirty barred and blue crele). I'm not real sure how they expect us to get that color wheaton on KS hens but.... we'll see. We're already so far removed from Japanese type that I think I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. I don't show my own birds so it's not a big issue to me but I'd hate to see the same fate befall Ko Shamos that has befallen the standardized large fowl oriental gamefowl. I already see so few that have pearl eyes and that's their trademark in Japan (not even in our standard to my knowledge).

Back
Top Bottom