The Last Days

Don't leave their side... a dog is more than a animal... it is a true friend.
I am so sorry to hear about his saddening moment, but I hope you take this time to really develop an even closer bond with your best friend!:hugs

am yet to lose a dog but we had to put down two cats that i had as pets, i just sat with them and told them i would see them again. then they where taken away to be put down at the vet, its never fun.

have a dog right now turning 17 on the 24th this month.

I have heard of people doing this and contemplating it for my old girl... a party with human and doggy friends. Lot of petting lots of treats. Guests could bring dog toy gifts that you pass on to an animal shelter or rescue. It's just an idea if your pup is up to it. I know there are some people that are in our lives that would love their own chance to say goodbye to our dogs. I also know my dog would love the chance to see a few of her favorite people.

I have heard of people doing this and contemplating it for my old girl... a party with human and doggy friends. Lot of petting lots of treats. Guests could bring dog toy gifts that you pass on to an animal shelter or rescue. It's just an idea if your pup is up to it. I know there are some people that are in our lives that would love their own chance to say goodbye to our dogs. I also know my dog would love the chance to see a few of her favorite people.
Great idea!

Take pictures, videos of tricks and voice, do whatever you know she likes to do as much as possible. Let her do things you wouldn't normally let her do (things that wouldn't hurt her of course). Just make her feel as loved as possible.

I read something once that we are the long-lived ethereal elves to our pets. When they feel like eons have passed and they're on their last legs, we seem like we've hardly aged a day.

Most old dogs like quiet company, and a cozy bed. You know your dog best. Do what they like, just take it easier.

Some like toys or balls, others taking walks or going on rides. Just make sure you move at a pace that is comfortable for your dog.

Old dogs tend to sleep more and deeper, so let them rest. Treat your old dog well, and be ready to help them leave this world if and when necessary.

Have your older dogs teeth cleaned if possible and get them looked at on a regular basis. I have found not tending to their dental needs will age a dog quickly. Good teeth can often extend their lives and certainly makes them more comfortable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom