The Laughing Crow of the Araucana Rooster

None of my Araucanas had what I'd call a distinct "laughing crow". However, my personal theory is that this trait comes from the tufts gene. This gene not only causes tufts, but can result in other defects in the head and neck. Sometimes birds even have holes in their throats. It's not hard to imagine that these throat defects can also result in abnormal crows. It may be that the original Indians selected for these abnormal "laughing crows" for whatever cultural or religious reasons. But now they aren't selected for, so have died out, or are very rare.

That's why there is additional mortality associated with one copy (heterozygous) of the tufts gene. Two copies of the gene is lethal to the developing chick embryo and they die in shell.

Rosalyn

One of the 2 breeds that form part of the"araucana" breed , is the "ketro",(quetro) the breed that brougth the earings to the breed (the other" collonca" is the rumpless). Quetro in native indian language ( araucano) means stutter, stammer....and I'm agree with Amazondoc. I have a quetro hen who has a very wild egg song....

Last edited:
Kano,

Do the "Ketro" have the same mortality issues as the araucana concerning their tufts?

None of my boys have a laughing crow. But they each do have a different crow and I can always tell which one is crowing without seeing them. Course the one that starts at 3:30 in the morning is the loudest and my least favorite. He is also a banty and a tiny one at that so not even worth eating.

Lanae

Did any of the araucana breeders find a laughing crower in this year breeding? Someone at the araucana forum was mentioning about funny crowers at the early age of one week. Can that be something genetically related to the laughing crow? What do you think?

I woke up this morning to one of my baby (4 months old) crowing and it sounded like someone laughing but kinda crazy like. So maybe it will develope into a full laughing crow.

I am not sure which one did it as I have quite a few roo chicks. Tomorrow morning I will see if I can find out who it is.

Lanae

No mine does not sound like that but I didn't think of laughter when I watched that video. My birds crow sounds more like crazy laughter. If the video is what the laughing crow sounds like than mine is not doing that.

Lanae

I looked at that video but the one that says real laughing chicken. That is a laughing crow to me and I don't think thats what mine sounds like. I will listen carefully in the morning.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom