The Legbar Thread!

So took some photos of some of the cream colored pullets I've managed to hatch. There seem to be quite a few of them versus the gold but not sure on the ratio yet. Here is what some of them look like so far. Very happy with what I see.

Check out this crest

This is the last hatch from my mixed pens. Next hatches will be from my 'hopefully' cream-only pen.
Wow, these look really nice--I would be super pleased if I were you. And this is from the mixed pen-- your cream pen will be even better. Good for you!

Steen, I understand that large predators such as coyotes can sometimes be discouraged by marking your territory - ie, the area around your yard - the same way a dog would, about every 5-6 feet. Kind of a guy job.
That's my husband's reason... It's now a family tradition from father to son. My Dad was not a believer in that at all as my brother can attest to.
This year I had less small critter predators now that we have a new Cattle dog this summer. We lost Stu before last summer and I feel I can see the difference. Bella our other dog is a Yorkie so not a really scary signature there.

Cute chick pic TheTropix. When that occurs in my bator it's generally that I messed up the humidity again.

Steen, I understand that large predators such as coyotes can sometimes be discouraged by marking your territory - ie, the area around your yard - the same way a dog would, about every 5-6 feet. Kind of a guy job.
I just adopted a stray. Its an Australian Shepard blue Merle mix or a boarder collie mix. Or possibly a mix of those two breeds. He came to me intact and I need to get him fixed but he is going about this job very well. I had a bear come threw the other day and as soon as my dog got out he ran everywhere that bear had been and started marking. he is always marking and goes everywhere. I seen a coyote cross my path and a few Min's later my dog smelled it and goes nuts. he ran around smelling and started to mark the territory.

He is the sweetest dog ever and comes to work with me acting like a greeter. but this lady came into my work who had been sitting on her porch where a bear was the night before. he smelled that bear on her and cornered her and started growling at her. he seen the same lady a week or so later and was as happy as could be to see her. But when he smells a bear or coyote he turns into kujo .

As for me around my fences i have done this job also. although I'm not sure if its a lets fight for this territory kind of thing to the coyote or if it scares them away. I seen one come threw the trees and i let out the loudest human bark ever. it shook that coyote and instantly we met eyes and he ran off. I do it also when i hear them hunting. When i bark my dog starts and i know they don't like both of us. It scares them off. I wont feel comfortable until i get a cpl donkeys though.

. . . I just adopted a stray. Its an Australian Shepard blue Merle mix or a boarder collie mix. Or possibly a mix of those two breeds. He came to me intact and I need to get him fixed but he is going about this job very well.

He is the sweetest dog ever and comes to work with me acting like a greeter. but this lady came into my work who had been sitting on her porch where a bear was the night before. he smelled that bear on her and cornered her and started growling at her. he seen the same lady a week or so later and was as happy as could be to see her. But when he smells a bear or coyote he turns into kujo .

As for me around my fences i have done this job also. although I'm not sure if its a lets fight for this territory kind of thing to the coyote or if it scares them away. I seen one come threw the trees and i let out the loudest human bark ever. it shook that coyote and instantly we met eyes and he ran off. I do it also when i hear them hunting. When i bark my dog starts and i know they don't like both of us. It scares them off. I wont feel comfortable until i get a cpl donkeys though.

A working shepherd dog, Aussie, Border Collie or mix -- and a blue merle -- that's my favorite sort of dog. My very first dog was a blue merle Aussie and the smartest dog I ever had. She was also fiercely protective and would occasionally take a dislike to a really nice person for no reason we could discern. I miss her to this day.

And you bark at coyotes, and aren't afraid to say so -- that is an excellent quality in my book.

If I weren't already happily married, with lovely children, and an age probably double yours, I think I'd want to marry you. ;-)

Aloha,

Stray dogs are the best. It's like they appreciate you taking them in so much that they will make sure that you are stoked that you did so.

And Brian, If I wasn't a dude, I'd marry you too.

kden, Puhi

[/IMG]

Forgive the bad pics. I'm trying to confirm if the little one is a roo or pullet. I hatched 4 CL chicks with white dots on their heads *sigh* but now I'm wondering. It is growing a nice crest on its head and is all barred in grey at this point. The Tolbunt Polish pullet on this pic was nearly slaughtered by my flock. She was an only chick and the new CLs made her life better. I found them last night, escaped from the brooder, roosting in the dog bed. I'd love some confirmation on the gender of the CL chick.

[/IMG]

Forgive the bad pics. I'm trying to confirm if the little one is a roo or pullet. I hatched 4 CL chicks with white dots on their heads *sigh* but now I'm wondering. It is growing a nice crest on its head and is all barred in grey at this point. The Tolbunt Polish pullet on this pic was nearly slaughtered by my flock. She was an only chick and the new CLs made her life better. I found them last night, escaped from the brooder, roosting in the dog bed. I'd love some confirmation on the gender of the CL chick.

Back
Top Bottom