The Legbar Thread!

Garydean was right about broodys in with the flock. they were running around fighting over a premature chick. another egg in the nest was cracked open like they were eating it out of the shell. last time I was able to count there was 18 eggs +. after this incident only 12 were left.

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Lat year I had a broody in the main coop. I got worried about just this sort of thing so I put up a wire mesh screen between the nest and the flock so they could see each other bit they wouldn't disturb the broody. I was afraid if I moved the whole nest I would break her (its happened before in the not-so-serious broody) but I didn't want the mean girls attacking the little ones.

Was this the nest with the multiple broodies in it?

I was under the impression jill Reese had some of the best CCL around in the UK. Her hens are gorgeous and the only pic of a rooster on her site is nice too. he has no color but he has the high held tail angle. www.jillscreamlegbars.co.uk
Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen the revised website.

I guess it is since last Spring when I was in contact with Jill and she is an amazing person, really delightful. I think the picture of two women at the poultry show is Emily de Gray on the left with dark hair - where Jill got most of her stock, I think, and Jill on the right with blond hair. Jill's birds got ALL the top prizes in UK poultry shows in 2012,
you could kind of say she cleaned up.

it looks like the ones that won in the UK shows are the more typical darker crested CLs.

You know that Greenfire Farms will have some of Jill Rees line of birds for sale in the spring 2014, right?

I have to say the featured hen in the center of the first page -- looks really good - but the legs look short--just like the CL I have here. The hen in the smaller photo on the lower right is the faded look, that I hope we don't move toward. Probably THAT hen is from the white-looking rooster. LOL...

I see lots of 'shafting' on the light hen, even in the neck hackles, and definite shafting in the featured hen.

Now, I also see the differentiation with the featured hen I have here kind of repeated there...the base color of the female''s body is more brown (taupe) than it is gray. I have one here that really looks a lot like Jill's bird in the featured picture, but I'm not sure that there aren't more gray colored CL females here in the USA.
http://www.jillscreamlegbars.co.uk/#/gallery/4573536975 Oh the link doesn't take you directly to the picture, it is the one that says 'Cream Legbar - 1st - Jill Rees 0771'

Last edited:
You and I have a similar eye, ChicKat.

What do you think of the down color on the male chicks in that group photo she has posted?
I agree with your view....and I recall seeing an article by Punnett and he mentioned that there are multiple colors of down and in his eye the dark down was dominant. hmmmmmm.

Here's the article:
http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/41/1.pdf

Figure 2 on the last page, is the lightest down color. Incidentally I purchased a color page of the last plate on ebay and it is very tan colored. Disclaimer - KPenley needs to constantly remind me that this article is about gold legbars. No pictures of others exist from Punnett's day to my knowledge.

Last edited:
Quote: I was thinking of the standard for downs listed in the UK (one of many links for the reference http://www.harislau.info/legbar) :
Downs, Female (Cream): Silver-grey type. The stripe should be very dark brown, extending over the head, neck and rump. The edges of the stripe should be clearly defined, not blurred and blending with ground colour - the sharper the contrast, especially over the rump the better. The stripe should be broad; a narrow or discontinuous stripe should be avoided. A light head patch should be visible, clearly defined in outline, showing up brightly against the dark background.

Male: The down is much paler in tint, the pattern being blurred and washed out from head to rump; it may best be described as pale silvery-slaty.
So I am surprised that the down color on the male chicks I would describe as shades of tan, not silvery-slaty, and the females don't have the light head patch on the brown V on the head.

I know most folks over here have been aiming for that light slate/grey boy but I think there has been some controversy over the head patch on the females. Do you remember if 'we' have addressed the downs in chicks yet for the APA SOP?

I want everybody to be happy, all the time. Seriously, controversy stresses me out. But I do have to put my toe in enough to say that I don't think charging a lot of money for an extremely rare bird is not a legitimate business practice -- I don't think most people would think twice about a very rare specimen plant, or rare gemstone, just as examples, getting extremely high bids at auction. It's neat that those rare chickens reproduce and make themselves affordable over the space of a few years.

Now that $100,000 Neiman-Marcus chicken coop? Not made of rare materials -- I think the high price for that is not justified. Or justified, sort of, in that it appeals to people who think spending a lot of money on a status symbol is worth it. Or to get more convoluted, to people who think spending a lot of money on something clearly not worth it has status in itself.

Off my soapbox and back into my own crummy, beloved chicken coop. :)

Back
Top Bottom