The Legbar Thread!

I have been raising cream legbars for several years. In my batch that hatched last week - this white guy popped up! And before you ask - there is no chance some other rooster got in the pen with the cream legbar ladies. What is this, will more of these pop up in my next hatch that is in the incubator now?

I have been raising cream legbars for several years. In my batch that hatched last week - this white guy popped up! And before you ask - there is no chance some other rooster got in the pen with the cream legbar ladies. What is this, will more of these pop up in my next hatch that is in the incubator now?
Recessive white . They pop up sometimes . So your rooster and at least 1 hen carry recessive white . https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/827877/white-sport-cream-legbars/390#post_18205518

Last edited:
So do I eat him or do I start breeding white cream legbars? Will they lay blue eggs or will they even breed if I happen to get a white female?

So do I eat him or do I start breeding white cream legbars? Will they lay blue eggs or will they even breed if I happen to get a white female?
That is a really interesting question - hope someone can answer as I'd be tempted to see if they breed true! But that would be against the SOP, so what to do??????

They will lay blue eggs and white to white = 100 % white chicks . Ralphie has about 40 of these now . The barring gene is still there also .

They will lay blue eggs and white to white = 100 % white chicks . Ralphie has about 40 of these now . The barring gene is still there also .
Cool - thanks for the info! I've only three hens and one roo so my chances of white are probably pretty small, but it is something to watch for!

Thank you all for your responses to my questions about CL. I picked up this cutie today.

Are any breeders of Legbar noticing a genetic weakness in these birds? Mine seems to be having respitory issues and this has been going on for weeks. For months she has been doing the head shaking, which I assumed was because her extra large comb or crest was tickling or bothering her. But I've realized she does not breathe the same way as the other chickens. She does a lot of open mouth breathing as well as sounds congested. Again, this has been happening for months. I was wondering if it could be her heart? There is absolutely no discharge from her eyes or nostrils. No one else in the flock is displaying these symptoms. I have always felt she was a little "behind" the others, and now I'm starting to worry. She is 8 months old and still not laying.

I believe her egg came from Greenfire farms. Any insight to her behavior would be appreciated.

Are any breeders of Legbar noticing a genetic weakness in these birds? Mine seems to be having respitory issues and this has been going on for weeks. For months she has been doing the head shaking, which I assumed was because her extra large comb or crest was tickling or bothering her. But I've realized she does not breathe the same way as the other chickens. She does a lot of open mouth breathing as well as sounds congested. Again, this has been happening for months. I was wondering if it could be her heart? There is absolutely no discharge from her eyes or nostrils. No one else in the flock is displaying these symptoms. I have always felt she was a little "behind" the others, and now I'm starting to worry. She is 8 months old and still not laying.

I believe her egg came from Greenfire farms. Any insight to her behavior would be appreciated.

Could be mycoplasma . Best to cull her

Back
Top Bottom