The L'Oeuf Shack

Upsizing past 6 birds would require legislation change, so I'm not going to hold my breath. (It's probably a good thing to keep me from getting too invested in chicken math anyway.)
I meant upsizing the coop and run. :) I've already done it myself, went from a 16 sq ft coop to 60 sq ft.
The enclosed portion of the coop has a hardware cloth window of 6" x 6' opening into the run and the sides each have the angled bit that tapers to the end of the roof. I had originally also included another 6" x 6' window on the back, but all the books kept harping on NO DRAFTS and I got nervous and covered it with plywood in the design. I could easily add that back in and add more to the interior wall. And I can make them with removable panels without too much fuss I think.

Is there a rough percentage of open-to-solid I should be going for on the walls while avoiding the dreaded drafts?

The top vents you have planned are great, and would likely be enough in moderate temperatures, but hot summers would definitely favor more ventilation, like 2-3 sq ft or more per bird vs 1 sq ft in moderate climates.

Drafts may not be an issue you ever really need to worry about. In the summer for sure your birds will appreciate a cross breeze over the roosts, which is why I suggested a removable or top hinged panel that could be propped open for more air flow. During colder weather or windy, stormy weather, you can close them up most of the way to keep the inside of the coop dry. Example of a coop w/ top hinge panels: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-ventilation.1452812/page-2#post-24868607

I meant upsizing the coop and run. :) I've already done it myself, went from a 16 sq ft coop to 60 sq ft.

The top vents you have planned are great, and would likely be enough in moderate temperatures, but hot summers would definitely favor more ventilation, like 2-3 sq ft or more per bird vs 1 sq ft in moderate climates.

Drafts may not be an issue you ever really need to worry about. In the summer for sure your birds will appreciate a cross breeze over the roosts, which is why I suggested a removable or top hinged panel that could be propped open for more air flow. During colder weather or windy, stormy weather, you can close them up most of the way to keep the inside of the coop dry. Example of a coop w/ top hinge panels: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-ventilation.1452812/page-2#post-24868607
Ah, the example I based it off of had an 8" square gable louver vent on the exterior wall and not a ton more hardware cloth on the interior wall facing the run. But I bet they were banking on colder climate.

I like the top hinge panel for the back wall and I could even do that for the side walls, above the nest box access.

Should all the windows be a certain height above the roosts, or (especially with a hinged variety that isn't wide open) is it OK for the birds to be at a level where they could peek at the windows while roosting?

Should all the windows be a certain height above the roosts, or (especially with a hinged variety that isn't wide open) is it OK for the birds to be at a level where they could peek at the windows while roosting?
This isn't a hard and fast rule by any means, but if they can be closed, roost height should be fine. Permanently open vents that can't be closed* should be at least 12" above their heads, if not more - some folks would say 18-24" but vent placement really is unique to each coop and location.

* Obviously this doesn't apply in open air set ups where a coop might not have a 4th wall, or has a fully wire mesh 4th wall.

I have my roost sandwiched between 2 windows and they're fully open 99% of the time (sideways rain/snow would force me to close them). Birds still sleep right up against the open windows in winter, we don't have super cold temps so lowest temperature with open windows so far was 12F.

coop1.jpg

Back again! I've been zipping through some other coop build threads and have a question about food/water inside the coop proper.

Assuming a secure coop with pop door for the evening roost and nesting boxes (~4 sq' per bird footprint and 1'+ roosting space) and open access to the enclosed run all day (~10 sq' per bird and roofed) - do the birds need access to food and water in the enclosed coop at night?

If so, are there recommendations on placement/styles to keep roosting birds from contributing unwanted matter on top of birds at the feeders?

do the birds need access to food and water in the enclosed coop at night?
Simple answer: no they don't. They just need to be able to access those within a reasonable period of time after they wake up - in my case, pop door opens at 7:45 AM for water, there is no food until around 9 AM.

Placement of feeders and waterers should go where it makes sense for your set up. My waterer is outside to ensure the coop interior stays dry, and I have dry feed inside (to ensure it stays dry) and wet (fermented) feed outside.

Back
Top Bottom