The mama hen…is a rooster?

I don't know but is Chili a good dad?
We put Chili with the adults now, even though I would have wished for him to stay with the chicks, but before we put his with the adults, he started to chase one of the chicks, and we thought he was weaning them. I dunno, but he was a great Mama when we thought he was a hen!

We put Chili with the adults now, even though I would have wished for him to stay with the chicks, but before we put his with the adults, he started to chase one of the chicks, and we thought he was weaning them. I dunno, but he was a great Mama when we thought he was a hen!
Ther is no way my rooster would be nice to chicks. :lauHe is a little on the mean side.

George got to raise those chicks, (Not related.) Then the chicks he raised raised the next batch of chicks below...(they are standing in the black tray and are 3 weeks older, but bantam so they look the same size.) Also not related.
geor.PNG

They are all still together in an out door pen. 2 of these, raised chicks behind them, and soon a chick from that batch will raise a different unrelated group, I just hatched.

We have a pet rooster in with our waterfowl. He's got a lot on his mind about nests. He has semi adopted the duck flocks and I will find him resting on a duck nest occasionally. He figured out pretty quickly we liked to find the eggs and would point out covered nests and errant eggs for us, and say we've put down fresh bedding, he will go sit in a nice new depression and make tid bit noises, squishing it down like hes trying to point out a good place for the ducks to make their new nest. He's quite a character. Hes almost 2 years old now - barred rock.

I know a lot of people might not like to hear this but we raise our chickens for meat as well as eggs and something pretty uniform across the roosters that are small is that we think they are under developed or late bloomers. They always have small testicles when they're butchered, are leaner, have more feminine features, are very non aggressive but can be "weird" personality wise.

This was taken back on March 27, 2023 of both my 5 year old golden comet hen, Waddles and buff Brahma rooster, Bram with 24 CC Broiler chicks (5 & 6 wks). The hen has leg problems and the rooster had a traumatic brain injury where they couldn't be with the rest of the flock so I gave them a job taking care of the broilers. They did great raising them together. Sadly the rooster died about 2 months later. Waddles and 1 broiler hen named B.K., who was spared are still together.

20230327_180945.jpg

Waddles and B.K. checking out some juvenile pullets in an adjacent pen (they all share a coop together now). 9/28/23

Attachments

• 20230928_125035.jpg
    20230928_125035.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom