The McGraw Thread

Dr. McGraw used the birds with similar background in his Manx Rumpies. I have had them previously and produced a pair of Silver Spangled Rumpless Araucanas but my other Araucanas would keep attacking them and not let them eat so by the time I figured out what happened they passed away.

His son was selling chicks a few years ago. I gave some people and may have posted the information on here. Good luck, it is a great project for someone but I am now out of any more room for more projects.

I have just seen this post and will respond. I was able to acquire McGraws in 2009 from a well respected breeder. He sold to me his last remaining birds as he had so many projects going he did not have the time or inclination to continue with them? It is my understanding that the finished product as developed by Dr. McGraw are a cushion combed, silverspangled,willow legged, and tailed bird. This even though the Araucana is one of the breeds used to create the birds. I do not know if Dr. McGraws' son has any birds any longer. If so it is not many.
The birds are quite docile, good free rangers, and productive producers of good sized blue (not green) eggs. I attempted for over a year to find additional people that had birds that were of Dr. McGraws' breeding and not corrupted by additional out cross. I was unsuccessful in my efforts.
The birds are quite striking in appearance. To my eye they are quite different than those pictured in the above post. Having, I dare say, a more stately appearance. I have not ever sold birds so I have not taken any photos of them.
If anyone has further interest you may send me a private message.

Dr. Albert McGraw was a very nice man and had some very rare breeds. I lived within 20 miles of him and sometime around 1996 was the first time I went to his house to see his chickens. I was very surprised to see rare breeds like his Mottled Javas, & Silver Penciled Hamburgs. I bought a very nice flock of Mottled Javas from him. I was very happy with the Mottled Java flock I got from him and wish I still had that line.
smile.png

I wished he would have written more on the Spitzhaubens. Allenwranch told me a lot about him when I was learning more about Spitzhaubens.

Its a pity no one really focus on the breed itself. That is a long time ago since he has been into poultry.

I would love to make a silver spangled tufted araucana. Especially with the coloring of the hen pictured.

Lanae

The rooster posted by Dan is a relative of my birds. The photo of rooster and hen herewith is of birds from my flock. Just average in color (except that they are dirty) and type. My birds are inside in winter so tend to get white areas soiled to some degree, and the tail on the rooster may be a little rough from jousting with his room mates. He is housed with 15 other roosters in an 8x12 coop with an elevated 4x 12 aviary. Picture of blue eggs with white and beige eggs for comparison. Eggs are blue and not green as in EE. As you can see the roo has a cushion comb, which is the norm, although a pea comb will result from time to time. I am not a photographer, and I fear that I have not done the birds justice.
These birds free range in spring, summer and autumn and the hens are prolific producers of large blue eggs. Please feel free to PM with any questions or observations.
48074_picture_013.jpg
48074_picture_012.jpg
48074_picture_015.jpg

You know that word from the movie Bambi, twitterpated? That's what I am right now.

Such a sucker for spangles and blue eggs. For something to be so beautiful AND useful...THIS is why I am a poultry fanatic.

Lovely and they just reminds me too much of the Silver Spangled Hamburgs than the Araucanas. Other than that, they are so lovely in plumage and wonderful blue eggs! How can you beat that!

Back
Top Bottom