The McGraw Thread

stoneunhenged

Songster
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
USA
Dan Powell of Maiden Rock, Wisconsin, first told me about a remarkable bird developed by Dr. Albert McGraw of Anderson, Alabama. The bird was called a silver spangled Araucana by Dr. McGraw, but lately we've taken to simply calling them McGraws. Dr. McGraw, who raised chickens since 1925, used among other birds the first appenzeller spitzhauben imported into the US as foundational stock to develop the McGraw. (The story of how the spitzhauben arrived in America is remarkable in itself.) Dr. McGraw spent three decades developing the bird. The McGraws are great free-rangers, are very feed efficient, and produce piles of large blue eggs. They're a testament to the ingenuity and perseverance of backyard poultry breeders everywhere. Here are the McGraw rooster and hen:

McGrawrooster.jpg

McGrawhen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just seen this post and will respond. I was able to acquire McGraws in 2009 from a well respected breeder. He sold to me his last remaining birds as he had so many projects going he did not have the time or inclination to continue with them? It is my understanding that the finished product as developed by Dr. McGraw are a cushion combed, silverspangled,willow legged, and tailed bird. This even though the Araucana is one of the breeds used to create the birds. I do not know if Dr. McGraws' son has any birds any longer. If so it is not many.
The birds are quite docile, good free rangers, and productive producers of good sized blue (not green) eggs. I attempted for over a year to find additional people that had birds that were of Dr. McGraws' breeding and not corrupted by additional out cross. I was unsuccessful in my efforts.
The birds are quite striking in appearance. To my eye they are quite different than those pictured in the above post. Having, I dare say, a more stately appearance. I have not ever sold birds so I have not taken any photos of them.
If anyone has further interest you may send me a private message.

The rooster posted by Dan is a relative of my birds. The photo of rooster and hen herewith is of birds from my flock. Just average in color (except that they are dirty) and type. My birds are inside in winter so tend to get white areas soiled to some degree, and the tail on the rooster may be a little rough from jousting with his room mates. He is housed with 15 other roosters in an 8x12 coop with an elevated 4x 12 aviary. Picture of blue eggs with white and beige eggs for comparison. Eggs are blue and not green as in EE. As you can see the roo has a cushion comb, which is the norm, although a pea comb will result from time to time. I am not a photographer, and I fear that I have not done the birds justice.
These birds free range in spring, summer and autumn and the hens are prolific producers of large blue eggs. Please feel free to PM with any questions or observations.
48074_picture_013.jpg
48074_picture_012.jpg
48074_picture_015.jpg

Very interesting, how many McGraws are there? Who has them? The rooster looks split for silver and gold, is he? Thanks for starting this.

Last edited:
The rooster may be split for gold. Dr. McGraw did develop gold spangled Araucanas as well. Dr. McGraw's son Keevin may still have a few birds. There may be a few in Ohio. I'd be interesting in hearing if they are any remnant flocks out there.

The hen is a fabulous color. She has a nice overall shape. Her head is really nice and I like her "Stink Eye" someone made her unhappy.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom