The Middle Tennessee Thread

I am going to Bonnies this week (not sure what day usually Wednesday but that is not a sure thing yet, So if any body needs me to bring something let me know) I am looking for those big tubs that cattle minerals come it... willing to do some trading. I need just a few for some Blueberry bushes (4 so far but maybe getting another one). I would need to meet at Bonnies or somewhere easy on and off the interstate with a trailer.
I tried growing determinate tomatoes in the black mineral tubs one year....made the drain holes, put gravel on the bottom, etc. They grew like crazy and once they got big enough to really start producing, they all burned up. The black tubs get *really* hot, filled with dirt, in the summer sun.

I tried growing determinate tomatoes in the black mineral tubs one year....made the drain holes, put gravel on the bottom, etc. They grew like crazy and once they got big enough to really start producing, they all burned up. The black tubs get *really* hot, filled with dirt, in the summer sun. 

I was thinking of trying hypertufa casting or something similar to make a couple bigger pots. Anyone try that?

It was formulated by a poultry nutritionist

You said that already. That doesn't mean that the feed you're advertising is intended for chickens. There is a reason that cat food is for cats, dog food is for dogs, etc. Each feed has a nutritional profile based on the target animal's needs. This doesn't mean a dog will die if it eats a bowl of cat food and it might take years on an inappropriate diet for the negative effects to be obvious. That doesn't make it a good idea.

OK, I have a question. I have had gardens several times, pretty large gardens too. Not worried about that, but this will be the FIRST garden with free ranging guinea... do I need to fence it? I am going to have a garden in buckets so it will be up off the ground, but I am hoping the guinea will just help with pests. So for those of you who garden with birds running around to they ruin your garden?

OK, I have a question.  I have had gardens several times, pretty large gardens too.  Not worried about that, but this will be the FIRST garden with free ranging guinea... do I need to fence it?  I am going to have a garden in buckets so it will be up off the ground, but I am hoping the guinea will just help with pests. So for those of you who garden with birds running around to they ruin your garden?

I only have chickens, but they can ruin the things they are interested in eating. I have heard ducks don't cause issues and I don't know how destructive Guineas are. I'm reading a book that just came out called Gardening with Chickens by Lisa Steele. It has some interesting tips in it.

It may be a silly question, but why the buckets?

Back
Top Bottom