The Middle Tennessee Thread

I've promised a couple of folks out here that I would not throw out too much opinion. However, I would like to pose a question to those who want non-GMO and buy a feed with pork meal in it... Where did the pork come from and what was it fed? Just a thought...

On the other hand, I do understand that those who don't free range or provide fresh pasture every day that there has to be some form of meat added to the diet. And if GMO is not a concern, then pork meal certainly works. I certainly prefer that over chicken meal.

I belong to anther thread that has been actively discussing the debate over soy vice soy free for pasture raised birds. Feed becomes a religion, and unfortunately, I have to admit I have religion. My goal is to not force mine upon anyone. If I do, call me out on it.

I've promised a couple of folks out here that I would not throw out too much opinion.  However, I would like to pose a question to those who want non-GMO and buy a feed with pork meal in it...  Where did the pork come from and what was it fed?  Just a thought...  

On the other hand, I do understand that those who don't free range or provide fresh pasture every day that there has to be some form of meat added to the diet.  And if GMO is not a concern, then pork meal certainly works.  I certainly prefer that over chicken meal.

I belong to anther thread that has been actively discussing the debate over soy vice soy free for pasture raised birds.  Feed becomes a religion, and unfortunately, I have to admit I have religion.  My goal is to not force mine upon anyone.  If I do, call me out on it.

I'm starting to think everything becomes a religion on BYC. I'm not so concerned about the GMOs but would prefer to buy organic just to avoid the pesticides. Yes, pork is almost always raised using GMOs and antibiotics and that's not ideal but the big issue for me is the heavy use of chemicals used in the production of the grains that make up the rest of the feed.

Anyway if you do get too philosophical I'm sure somebody will come along and drill you a new one. I'm amazed at the things ppl get riled up over on here.

Last edited:
I can't worry about GMO... I can't afford to feed all my chickens non-GMO feed. NOBODY would pay the price for my chickens. If you are raising chickens just for you the extra expense can be absorbed but when you buy 4000lb of feed at $4+ more per bag that adds up QUICK. Tuckers has NON-GMO feed and my birds wouldn't eat it... the chicks wouldn't I had to mix it with other feed just to get rid of it. I don't even know if the NON-GMO has pork or not but I can tell you my birds do great on the regular feed.

I am going to enjoy having my own garden this year to cut some of that junk out, but to avoid it would be a full time job. I don't eat my chickens, I don't even eat the eggs but I would trust it just fine. My neighbor is a bit of a fanatic about that stuff but she doesn't feed her chickens anything special... she is a scientist too.

BTW if you free range your chickens how do you KNOW they are not eating bugs, frogs, or snakes that didn't come from somewhere that was sprayed with chemicals? We can't avoid it until something on a large scales is done and the chemical companies are holding all the cards.

AND if you read up on some of the labeling guidelines they are not worth the paper they are written on. Organic can still use antibiotics so you can't really know that you are getting what you are expecting.

Not a rant... not intended to be. I do tend to see that the people that are the most worried about what they put in the chickens, don't eat them and take them to the vet.

Last edited:
The crumble ran out and the chicks got their first container of mash. They stood around the feeder stretching their necks and discussing it for a while. But after trying it, they dug in. I didn't find a pile of beach sand with the corn picked out as I had feared so I guess it's fine.

When I have day olds, I'll take a handful of the finest ground feed, some sand and baby grit and spread it on a news paper leading up to the feed trough. By day three they are smart enough to take the grit free choice. And babies always get some meal worms, just a few every day dropped as far away from them as I can. Gets them running around the brooder. I also provide fresh chop from the pasture or alfalfa and hay mix.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think everything becomes a religion on BYC. I'm not so concerned about the GMOs but would prefer to buy organic just to avoid the pesticides. Yes, pork is almost always raised using GMOs and antibiotics and that's not ideal but the big issue for me is the heavy use of chemicals used in the production of the grains that make up the rest of the feed.

Anyway if you do get too philosophical I'm sure somebody will come along and drill you a new one. I'm amazed at the things ppl get riled up over on here.

Who us
hu.gif
get riled ?You must be thinking about the east tn. thread
gig.gif
Some are very stubborn about what they believe. And will get riled up over nothing . Makes you wonder if your opinion is supposed to be their opinion. Last I heard we are each entitled to our own .
I can't worry about GMO... I can't afford to feed all my chickens non-GMO feed. NOBODY would pay the price for my chickens. If you are raising chickens just for you the extra expense can be absorbed but when you buy 4000lb of feed at $4+ more per bag that adds up QUICK. Tuckers has NON-GMO feed and my birds wouldn't eat it... the chicks wouldn't I had to mix it with other feed just to get rid of it. I don't even know if the NON-GMO has pork or not but I can tell you my birds do great on the regular feed.

I am going to enjoy having my own garden this year to cut some of that junk out, but to avoid it would be a full time job. I don't eat my chickens, I don't even eat the eggs but I would trust it just fine. My neighbor is a bit of a fanatic about that stuff but she doesn't feed her chickens anything special... she is a scientist too.

BTW if you free range your chickens how do you KNOW they are not eating bugs, frogs, or snakes that didn't come from somewhere that was sprayed with chemicals? We can't avoid it until something on a large scales is done and the chemical companies are holding all the cards.

AND if you read up on some of the labeling guidelines they are not worth the paper they are written on. Organic can still use antibiotics so you can't really know that you are getting what you are expecting.

Not a rant... not intended to be. I do tend to see that the people that are the most worried about what they put in the chickens, don't eat them and take them to the vet.

I'd say that's a fair assessment . Also consider this those same people who are feeding organic and running a ten dollar chicken to the vet are using chemicals in their lawns and gardens. Farmers face life a little different . The average subdivision produces more chemical runoff than several large crop farms .Chemicals are abused more by average home owners than farmers . You would be amazed at the number or farmers that use GPS in chemical application now to avoid waste over use and cost .

Lol thats actually super convenient to me right now. I'm in the process of moving from Manchester to Fayetteville so I go right through Arrington at least twice a week. I'm going to get some of their chick starter. I saw where they make a 16% layer pellet too. Have you ever used it and is the 22 noticeably better? Thanks!
If you are moving to Fayetteville, Woodard's grocery in Lynchburg is closer to you. They sell Tucker feed cheaper than anywhere else. I bought chick starter there this week for under $10/50# bag. You call in an order by Monday morning and pick it up on Weds. Our birds do fantastic on Tucker.

Back
Top Bottom