The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Quote:
I have been thinking of trying to set some BR / RIR eggs to get black sex linked chicks. But I have no idea what I would do with the males. They are not that cost effective to grow out. Then considering the other breeds that I'll be growing out, I'm not sure I'll be needing another group of roosters for stew.

if you can free range them from as early as possible, they can be cost effective to grow out IMO...

the slower growing cockerels work best at free ranging because they don't need to eat as much each day, they can find more of what they need while ranging. yes they take longer to grow, but since I'm feeding almost nothing, it works for me.

if you can free range them from as early as possible, they can be cost effective to grow out IMO...

the slower growing cockerels work best at free ranging because they don't need to eat as much each day, they can find more of what they need while ranging. yes they take longer to grow, but since I'm feeding almost nothing, it works for me.
Wouldn't they torture the girls?

I can't keep them separate, so they'd have to be butchered out before they started mating heavily. However, I've had them start as early as week 6 with 12-14 weeks being common and 16 weeks the norm.

Quote:
my free rangers are primarily eating eggs (when I can find them) and the senior roos keep the juvies in check for the most part. the girls that get harassed are the younger ones usually, and this year they'll be staying penned at least until they're laying well.

Turning the boys into 'girls' requires no hormone treatments nor years of therapy. Once they have had the 'cure',
thumbsup.gif
they are quite delightful to have around...they make nice with the real girls, taste absolutely scrumptious
droolin.gif
and if one is so inclined, they can be sold for top dollar!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Turning the boys into 'girls' requires no hormone treatments nor years of therapy. Once they have had the 'cure',
thumbsup.gif
they are quite delightful to have around...they make nice with the real girls, taste absolutely scrumptious
droolin.gif
and if one is so inclined, they can be sold for top dollar!!!
yippiechickie.gif
the cure? I have heard of making a rooster not able to crow, but at a top dollar price. I don't think that is what you are referring too.

the cure? I have heard of making a rooster not able to crow, but at a top dollar price. I don't think that is what you are referring too.
Oh my...de-crowing a rooster would be tantamount to de-barking a dog...totally inhumane! I was thinking more along the lines of making eunuchs, so to speak. Simple procedure that takes only about 4 or 5 minutes...for me. Others can do over a hundred in that time frame but I only do about twenty or thirty per year.

Back
Top Bottom