The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Quote:
Quote:
I have a young Silkie pullet (I think) I had to trim the crest on so she could see her food - I watched her standing over the food cocking her head this way and that, but not eating. I trimmed back feathers all around and below her eyes, and she started eating.

I'd LOVE to see her get confidence and all "cocky". That's exactly what needs to happen.

I don't like them because of the "handicap" they are. A crest in moderation is okay. My little black mix girls crests are okay as they are smaller.

This is the girl in question. Excessive. If I cut it back, will it make her too cold...should I wait until it's warmer?

Last edited:
Quote:
Hair cuts. Did that help keep the other birds from singling them out? (By their appearance?) Or do you cut them so they can see better to free-range? This one girl that the BA attacks is my one SFH that is a different color than everyone and has a large crest. I HATE CRESTS. Just saying. I had planned on cutting back her crest feathers before you mentioned that...but wondering what effect you think it has on the situation. Also...have any photos of any after a hair cut?
You hate the look of crests or that they get in the way? No they don't single them out, but the large crests impairs their vision. They can't see and seem to lose confidence when they can't see. When I clipped back crests the girls got all cocky and stuck their chests out and told the boys where to stick it. lol
I have a young Silkie pullet (I think) I had to trim the crest on so she could see her food - I watched her standing over the food cocking her head this way and that, but not eating. I trimmed back feathers all around and below her eyes, and she started eating.
I'd LOVE to see her get confidence and all "cocky". That's exactly what needs to happen. I don't like them because of the "handicap" they are. A crest in moderation is okay. My little black mix girls crests are okay as they are smaller. This is the girl in question. Excessive. If I cut it back, will it make her too cold...should I wait until it's warmer?
Maybe you can pull it back in a rubber and like Aoxa did for Gigi ? Or better yet make a fortune making chicken head bands to keep the feathers out of their eyes :)

LL

(Copied from the IN thread but... Happy V day! )

LM, Dragonlady uses hair tape on Silkie crests, maybe you could try that if you don't want want to actually trim the feathers until you see which alteration works best?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom