The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Quote:
I am still looking for the image but this is her description as posted in Silkie breeding, genetics and showing thread last June:

"I grab the crest between the base of my thumb and forefinger from the rear, making sure I have the whole crest with the feathers straight.I stick the tape starting in front at my thumb , and go around the whole crest to end up overlapping a 1/2" in front. This will help train a floppy bonnet crest UP, as it takes the strain off the skin.. The poor kids can see then too !. My girls lived in tape. They got pink bows in front to arrive at shows. I'd take them down just before judging, and blow them UP, and the beards under the eyes DOWN. You want the tape snug, but not pulling on the feathers. You've gone too far when the girls look surprised."

I got a 1 week old dorking chick given to me with two of it toes badly curled..I made one of those chick sandles (light card board with foot secured to it.)Anyone have any luck treating feet like this it is a roo I am afraid if I don't get it corrected he will end up lame he walked very oddly on the sides or even tops of his toes

I got a 1 week old dorking chick given to me with two of it toes badly curled..I made one of those chick sandles (light card board with foot secured to it.)Anyone have any luck treating feet like this it is a roo I am afraid if I don't get it corrected he will end up lame he walked very oddly on the sides or even tops of his toes

honestly, I would not keep him for breeding if his toes are that badly curled... if you want a pet, then you might be able to fix them. otherwise I'd say cull him now and save him the suffering. I haven't had any success with chicks like that. a couple hens have been stepped on and ended up with crooked toes, but they just healed that way without any assistance.

Often curling toes are a sign of B1/B2 deficiency. Try chopping up some liver tiny and give. If you want to go the synthetic vitamin route, some children's poly-vi-sol NO ADDED IRON in the water.

If you're giving medicated feed it has a thiamin blocker which can make the problem worse.

I won't cull him at this point because i only have 2 chicks in my brooder and that would leave a lone chick..I am not feeding the medicated feed ,i will try the liver or vitamins..He is doing well with his little sandel and I taped his legs with vet wrap like spradle leg ..he is a very strong little guy it hasn"t slowed him down a bit..

I would but it is not cost effective, unless you are really really wanting to get a breeding program on. And I would wait till warmer weather.

My shipment does not have its tracking updated but it is supposed to be here tomorrow morning. I'm hoping for a good loud live box. If not I wonder if I have to go and get it so early. Maybe they could just dispose of the box for me.

I have mostly Wyandotte roos (one's half GLW and the other is purebred SLW); I'm really looking for hens (pullets/chicks, nothing that's already laying).
No, I don't really need another roo. =(
I hope you find a good home for him. If not, then please let me know; I'm very interested in Wayndottes and I think the Black-Laced Reds are beautiful!!!

I have a young Silkie pullet (I think) I had to trim the crest on so she could see her food - I watched her standing over the food cocking her head this way and that, but not eating. I trimmed back feathers all around and below her eyes, and she started eating.
I had the same thing... I didnt trim her pouf but my mom thought she was blind because she would just stand there ... poor thing couldn't see. Now a year later her pouf is getting really full again ... I might have to trim by her eyes as she has to look at everything sideways .... good idea!

LM my 2 white silkie girls had HUGE poufs and when they went broody and the other girls picked on them for access to the nest ... guess what they could see and are now cocky as can be!! The one is even crowing!! Oooh maybe if her pouf grows back she'll stop
lau.gif

Tea Chick: Can you buy or borrow a saw? Do you know anyone who has some equipment you could borrow? I wonder if there are any basic wood working classes at a local Tech School near you???

Re: aggressive roos: I often see cute little pictures of people with their chicks sitting on their shoulders or their arms. Sometimes see folks cuddling a chicken and nuzzling it with their face. That is the perfect training for the bird to think it is higher in the pecking order than the human. IMO, I never let a bird get higher than my chest. I will, with a chick that is lower in the pecking order, raise it up on my hand while in the brooder so it is above the flock mates for a while... but, I'll never allow a chicken to get on my shoulder. Good practice, no matter the gender. How often does that sweet little favorite pullet that you've showered with affection turn out to be a roo?
big_smile.png
I'm handy with a saw (when I have one); I'm pretty handy without one when I have to be too.
wink.png

Yeah, I could probably borrow one from a friend. Thanks.
smile.png

Thanks fpr trying Teachick. nice project!!! I remember that earthworms carry tje cecal worm and carry the pathogin for blackhead that is devestating to turkeys and wanted some info advise

Sorry.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom