The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Found this on Geranium robertianum, some science... https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/153414691.pdf

I guessing it may do the long list of uses I found on it outside of the book based on this paper. I noted In the paper different parts of the plant has different concentration of compounds, so based on that the instructions say powder of but not what part? But it seems modern herbal powder of this plant uses the root.
Interesting, if a bit repetitive. That plant grows as a weed all over my garden, so if I want to try it, I won't be short of material!

Thanks for the link 😀

Interesting, if a bit repetitive. That plant grows as a weed all over my garden, so if I want to try it, I won't be short of material!

Way cool, I am going to have to try and hunt some wild plants down to collect seed from it does not grow in my property. I wonder if any might grow along the wild river areas near me...

The word used was “pounce” which does have a fine powder or dust meaning and a rub meaning in addition to the swoop down and grab with talons meaning.

Pouncing is also a means of marking for quilting or embroidery by putting powdered chalk into a cloth bag and tapping it lightly over a stencil of the desired lines.

I'd guess that it describes a means of applying powdered material lightly and evenly through the use of a similar cloth bag. :)

Pouncing is also a means of marking for quilting or embroidery by putting powdered chalk into a cloth bag and tapping it lightly over a stencil of the desired lines.

I'd guess that it describes a means of applying powdered material lightly and evenly through the use of a similar cloth bag. :)

The using the fine powder in a clothe to dust the wound seems to me to be what was meant too... I may try recreating the concept with some powdered spices/herbs to figure out what sort of cloth works best... I have dusted wounds using Turmeric and I just keep a jar of that handy but the jar is pretty messy when I shake the Turmeric on the wound...

I will post more from the olde tyme book it has some interesting stuff in it.

Not so much a question per say just looking to make some changes in my keep practices and have been digging around BYC threads... and this one popped up in my feed search... I am going to move away from commercial feed...

So you are growing inside in buckets, do you use lights? We just started experimenting with a mini hydro system... we definitely need grow lights for that. How do you have your sprouting green system set up?
Lacto fermenting you put the grains in a bucket about half full of them then add water ti fill the bucket, stir it when your going to feed and add more when you take out, initial takes 3 days befor eready to start feeding them, the longer it goes you start seeing some sprouts in there but it makes more nutrion avalable to them too. in the summer I will put canned whole corn in ice cube trays with liquid then put a few in the watering containers too to hellp keep the water cooler for them. they love that along with de-seeded watermelon for treats when it's really hot, and keeps em occupied.

slordaz I will set up some of the fermented and see how the older birds like it.

I have a corn intolerant breed incubating and a couple breeds known to sometimes have corn issues... so working on running down feed options. I decided the whole flock will be transitioning off of corn regardless of breed... so big experiment in progress... based on what is locally available so far I will be mixing my own feed.

I think I finally found a paddy rice source, will confirm tomorrow with phone calls. I would prefer the whole paddy rice over processed rice... better nutrition for the birds is the whole unprocessed rice. Adventures in bird keeping... 😂

I do like the frozen corn idea so will think on what other veggie or cooked grain would work.

Watermelon is something my girls love... why do you remove the seeds?

slordaz I will set up some of the fermented and see how the older birds like it.

I have a corn intolerant breed incubating and a couple breeds known to sometimes have corn issues... so working on running down feed options. I decided the whole flock will be transitioning off of corn regardless of breed... so big experiment in progress... based on what is locally available so far I will be mixing my own feed.

I think I finally found a paddy rice source, will confirm tomorrow with phone calls. I would prefer the whole paddy rice over processed rice... better nutrition for the birds is the whole unprocessed rice. Adventures in bird keeping... 😂

I do like the frozen corn idea so will think on what other veggie or cooked grain would work.

Watermelon is something my girls love... why do you remove the seeds?
so may of the seeds can be toxic to chickens, did you know some poisons are made from certain seeds?

I am trying to work off organic chicken feed mixes no corn ones to give me a place to start. I cannot get the no corn in my area... everything has corn in mixed feeds, in my area so I will mix myself, any studies I’ve read, traditional diets of the birds in Asia/Islands and picked up a modern tome on chicken health... just started reading that. I am working on a no no list, but there is a lot of conflicting info.

My problem is I have birds incubating that I know have higher % of grey and green jungle fowl and that really means you have to think different about diet.

Back
Top Bottom