The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Bulldogma, I think it's great that you started this thread. The title will help those who are looking for a more natural approach to keeping chickens, I believe, that might never have explored the Road Less Traveled thread. I hope those of us who have been following Bee will share what we've learned with others here who may have questions. Even though I didn't post much, I followed her threads (The Road less Traveled and The Old-Timer's THread) from the beginning. We owe it to Bee to share what we've learned.

I agree, BB - we need to keep sharing all that we have learned! I'm going to do my best, but I will need all the help that I can get - so I hope folks will direct me to the really good posts they find!

Hugs to all!

I am here! I was not on the old thread. I so far have been all natural. (10 months) My chickens have not had any problems that I am aware of from being natural. They get out to range everyday, and dust bathe everywhere, sometimes in the fire pit by choice. They do not eat much if any of their layer feed as they are much more interested in ranging. I have been concerned that they will not get the nutrition they need preferring to range all day. Any opinions on that? I have not been giving them any ACV either...is that something I need to start?

I am assuming you are talking about Beekissed? I learned ALOT from her!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am here! I was not on the old thread. I so far have been all natural. (10 months) My chickens have not had any problems that I am aware of from being natural. They get out to range everyday, and dust bathe everywhere, sometimes in the fire pit by choice. They do not eat much if any of their layer feed as they are much more interested in ranging. I have been concerned that they will not get the nutrition they need preferring to range all day. Any opinions on that? I have not been giving them any ACV either...is that something I need to start?

GG - It seems that Beekissed is stepping back from BYC for a little while - and we all hope it is a very little while as she has no idea how important she is to so many here!

As for your free ranging birds - chances are if they are not scarfing down layer feed, they simply don't need it. Offer them oyster shell and keep offering feed, but let nature direct their feeding habits.

Have you considered fermented feed? Check out the Natural Chicken Keeping Blog link in my signature, and once there, click on the fermented feed tab at the top. So many of us are having amazing success and seeing fantastic health benefits from using it... and it's so easy to do!

Thank You Bulldogma for the info! I was hoping IF they needed they would use it. But wasn't sure if I should keep them penned and make them eat it because there was nothing else. If they aren't worried about it...neither will I! I will check out the blog. Thanks for the direction...sounds interesting!

Well since Bee isn't around, want to talk Barred Plymouth Rock?

On my BRs...that feather pad thing... I really don't feel fat under there, just a thick pad of feathers. Either way, I was wondering if there is any health issue related to that or if it's just aesthetics.

Back
Top Bottom