The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Wow! Take an hour's nap and surprise!
hu.gif

Well, guess we'll see everyone over here soon ...

Thanks, Bulldogma, for this thread.

Spifflove, Natural means a lot of different things to different people. I've been following a couple of threads that the OT's (old-timers) post on, and I've been able to improve the overall health and appearance of my flock by following as many of their methods that I can incorporate into my flock. I don't have an organic feed option right now, but I let my flock out on pasture as often as I can. I feed fermented feed, and use UP/ACV (unpasturized Apple Cider vinegar) in their water. I don't use antibiotics or de-wormers anymore, but incorporate natural preventative measures and remedies in my day-to-day flock keeping. I basically let my chickens be chickens!

So glad to see some awesome people over here!

I'll be on more later, but the hubby and I are in the process of designing a chicken run. Wavering between hoop-style and just using the cattle panels to make up a straight, boxy run. Only have 3 panels...

Be back in a while -

I haven't been able to find an organic all-flock. It's pretty hard to find organic anything in the feed store, and I just can't pay shipping on a 50# bag. I have found a local group that makes an organic feed from scratch, and as soon as my husband is home I'll look into buying that.

So glad to see some awesome people over here!

I'll be on more later, but the hubby and I are in the process of designing a chicken run. Wavering between hoop-style and just using the cattle panels to make up a straight, boxy run. Only have 3 panels...

Be back in a while -

If you made an arch like the hoop coop, over the top, you'd be able to walk in it.

I use wood ash in my coop - the chickens love dust-bathing in it, and I don't have any problems with mites or lice. I put it in their favorite dust-bathing areas and let them go for it. They don't seem any more bothered by the wood ash than the dust they threw around before I added the ash.

I haven't been able to find an organic all-flock. It's pretty hard to find organic anything in the feed store, and I just can't pay shipping on a 50# bag. I have found a local group that makes an organic feed from scratch, and as soon as my husband is home I'll look into buying that.

I need to look up where you are Ashdoes, but I can get bulk organic feed from Ferhringer's. http://fehringerfarms.com/organicpoultryfeed.html
I can also get "easy feed' from Ranchway.
I have pigs too and get Ferhringer's organic feed for them.

Thanks BDM for starting a new thread. I work at an organic farm and feed my animals organic feed and try to use 'natural' animal husbandry methods. I have learned so much from Bee and all the people on the "road traveled' thread. I am so gratful for all the time people have spent there posting.

Back
Top Bottom