The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Quote:
lau.gif
(sorry
hide.gif
)

Chloe seems to be at one with the chicks...
smile.png
She always offers them a nipple. She is a mother to the core.

Rosie is exhibiting the same mothering instinct towards the chicks. I can't remember if I said it here or somewhere else, but she helps me do chick chores every day, and lives to clean their butts, and if I leave the door open to the brooder to get feed, she will stand guard and nose bump them back in if they roost on the edge, it is the cutest thing!

Thanks folks for the emerging predator warnings. I had a window sash lock on my nest box (outside entry) and realized that that was my security weak point, so yesterday, I braved the frozen fingers to replace it with a hasp, secured by a carrabeener (?sp.). At least I feel much more secure now! Have been spending the last 2 weeks teaching my 7 y.o. how to handle a carabeener. Seems like every time she touches one, she breaks it... can't get the concept of squeezing it to open it up.

Hi all from the resident long time lurker.

I am planning a new run enclosure for my chickens to protect them during the day when I am at work. I am thinking of the following dimensions and wondered if it would be big enough for 11 birds.
Wide = 3.5m or 11ft 551⁄64in
Length = 7m or 22ft 1119⁄32in
Height = 2m or 6ft 647⁄64in
Can anybody advise me if this would be big enough? Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom