The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Quote:
LOL on the naked neck! It's probably my fault cause I've been dreaming of hatching some actual NN's for a long time :)
hide.gif

They have a huge area split in 2 with more roosts to be able to get away from each other.

Quote:
I've also seen them do it to themselves. One has a very large spot of skin being eaten down to the muscle. It's beginning to heal under nu stock and the saddle. After the feathers grow back and the saddles come off, will they start over again? This really bothers me.

[quote name="Leahs Mom" url="/t/729605/the-natural-chicken-keeping-thread-ots-welcome/30580#post_

I'm beginning to think it may not be from the roo and maybe, like you are thinking, them doing it in the evening on the roost. 

Are you against trying a saddle/apron?
[/quote]

I'm not against it. I'm just wanting to be sure I'm not missing something important/simple. The barred rocks are missing more feathers in their "britches" than their backs & a saddle won't cover that. They look like little "monkey butts."

Hey, y'all.... I'm not freaking out at all, but this is getting pretty bad looking. I have looked at each and every hen. No nits, no crawling bugs. I've been out in the middle of the night--no mites. I am sure this was started by the top hen (a leghorn) because the bottom (barred rock) hen's feathers from her back at the base of her tail and her rear were picked off, first. Then the next from the bottom (also barred rock) started showing loss, then this one (wayandotte) and lastly the second from the top, also a leghorn. They are not scratching. They are not preening overmuch. They are all seemingly happy, healthy, energetic. After the pictures, I put coconut oil on her back and sprayed some bluekote because it looked like she was getting some little scabs under her higher back feathers. To top it all off, I think she may be starting to molt--her breast feathers are looking ratty and I'm finding down around the coop. Does anybody have any suggestions, other than praying for a good spring molt and start over again? They all just look so ugly.
feather pickers. I have 6 birds that are pickers and pickees. Started with one being the picker then over the winter with the wonderful :( weather we had and boredom they all started picking. It's getting better with the ability to free range. I still see it going on when they get on the roost at night. The girls are really hard on the rooster they like to cuddle up to him and pull his hackle and saddle feathers out. Watch the main picker walk under the roost and pull the butt feathers out of each one roosting. Hate to say it but Pinless Peepers are here and will be going on. It is not a protein issue I feed 20% protein grower finisher. BOSS and ground venison plus any other meat. Rooster damage? yes. But not all of it. Boredom that grew into a habit. I am not and expert. JMO.

I've seen my turkeys pluck feathers off my chicken hen, who also has a bald spot. She's my only chicken right now, so it's all the turkeys doing. BlueKote helps, but it wears off so fast and she runs if she sees the can.

I can't weigh in on featherpicking, as those hens that lived their first year in the bedroom are champion feather pickers. 99% at night on the roosts. Rooster Booster anti pecking lotion seems to work, but who wants to spend all their time greasing up the feathers?

on another topic, take a look at this:www.youtube.com/embed/iAp8pEaWB1Y

edited to add: they weren't my hens when they were in the bedroom!

Last edited:
I need some help!:
Okay so it has been raining in South Georgia for 2 days on and off.
So I went to go check on the chicks 20 minutes ago, and one of the chicks poop had blood in it!
What ca be causing this??? Please help!

Thanks LoveChickens123 (Lynn)
The first two things that strike my mind are worms and/or coccidiosis. Not knowing for sure, I'd immediately take a sample to a vet and get correct diagnosis. If you aren't in the fix to hit a vet, I would first treat for coccidiosis with Amprolium/Corid. do not delay...

On the chick with blood -
How old are the chicks?
Are any of them acting "off" or not like normal?

Is it blood...or does it look like it may be intestinal lining...more like tissue that is red?

Back
Top Bottom