The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Yep. It's all out war.
smiley-shooting-tank.gif

I had planned on salting the ground where it is after I get the roots out as well as possible.

I won't use a burner - too dangerous. Also won't use glyphosate - too dangerous in many ways. I really like jchny's method. Hard work but worth it.
soldier.gif
How can you possibly think that salting the ground is less dangerous and toxic than glyphosate???? Salt will leave the ground STERILE (NO microbes, earthworms, or anything) for YEARS, whereas glyphosate will have broken down into non-toxic components within 30 days of soil contact.

Shan30 - If you chick hatches, and you see they have splayed legs, get a thin band-aid, and wrap one end of the sticky side to one leg, and then bring the other leg close (like in a standing position), and tape the other leg. I had a chick from last year's hatch, that had splayed legs & feet. Unfortunately with that little one, it was so bad, it passed a week later. Then a few days later, I had another chick hatch with splayed legs (feet were good). I did the same thing with the band-aids on the legs, the next morning the chick was standing straight and tall, and had taken the band-aid off itself. This chick grew up to be one of the two roosters I now have, but is the secondary rooster of the flock.

This little one was actually in hobbles already at the time of the post. However not sure how well it's going to work. The leg seems to be quite stepped out from the body at the hip. It's managing to get around now but not gracefully or like a normal chick would walk.

I'm checking out of the p.I. conversation before I go to flaming people who jest at scars without having ever felt a wound.

I will say that the popular philosophy that revolves around the notion that a nature always finds its own balance, and never does itself pemenant harm or change, is utter nonsense in the extreme.

Peace.

ETA Next time you go into anaphylaxis, call me up and you can tell me how important your trees are to you.

Last edited:
How can you possibly think that salting the ground is less dangerous and toxic than glyphosate???? Salt will leave the ground STERILE (NO microbes, earthworms, or anything) for YEARS, whereas glyphosate will have broken down into non-toxic components within 30 days of soil contact.

I am no fan of Roundup or like products, however I have to agree "salting" the ground sterilizes, it for years. I would use roundup long before salting any of the ground in my yard.

I'll admit it, I was one of those folks that thought oh you poison ivy, big deal. Then after years of not being allergic to it, something changed. I got it this summer. At first it was just a small quarter size spot. But by the end of the PI outbreak, I had changed my tune to be I must get rid of the plants where ever they are.

I know this is going to sound crazy and I'm not recommending it but my dad, brother, sister and I eat a small bite of 'poison' plant as soon as we can find it, regardless of type, oak, ivy ...whatever. None of us are bothered by it all season.

I started doing this when I was a very young boy and that's a good thing because it someone suggested I do something like that at my current age and level of knowledge, I'd laugh in their face.

My sister was badly disabled due to a car crash a few years back and she really loves to get out into her garden in Old Louisville throughout the summer. The place is covered with 'poison' and if she were forced to stay inside, her life would be not worth living. (That's pretty much a direct quote from her).

Turk

I'll admit it, I was one of those folks that thought oh you poison ivy, big deal. Then after years of not being allergic to it, something changed. I got it this summer. At first it was just a small quarter size spot. But by the end of the PI outbreak, I had changed my tune to be I must get rid of the plants where ever they are.

As a life long sufferer, have to say there is nothing like it for itch, no words enough to describe the itch to non sufferers.

I know this is going to sound crazy and I'm not recommending it but my dad, brother, sister and I eat a small bite of 'poison' plant as soon as we can find it, regardless of type, oak, ivy ...whatever. None of us are bothered by it all season.

I started doing this when I was a very young boy and that's a good thing because it someone suggested I do something like that at my current age and level of knowledge, I'd laugh in their face.

My sister was badly disabled due to a car crash a few years back and she really loves to get out into her garden in Old Louisville throughout the summer. The place is covered with 'poison' and if she were forced to stay inside, her life would be not worth living. (That's pretty much a direct quote from her).

Turk

I have heard that more times then now, but have never had the courage to try it. I have had one anaphylactic reaction (not to pi ) but NEVER want to repeat that again.

Back
Top Bottom