The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

@onmelissa
I know you said that you found dark blood in the stool. But I'm going to throw this out just for thought.

I found blood on my roosts once. I got the birds and examined them thinking that it was possibly bleeding feet, etc. Saw no signs of foot issues and no other visible blood except for some quite large drops on the roost bar in front of the nest boxes.

Later I learned that it was blood drops from the COMB. It seems that either one of the other birds had bitten a comb or the comb had been injured somehow. There was just the tiniest dark spot on the comb where it had been bleeding. I didn't even think of that so I hadn't even noticed that there was a tiny scab.

@onmelissa

I know you said that you found dark blood in the stool.  But I'm going to throw this out just for thought.

I found blood on my roosts once.  I got the birds and examined them thinking that it was possibly bleeding feet, etc.  Saw no signs of foot issues and no other visible blood except for some quite large drops on the roost bar in front of the nest boxes. 

Later I learned that it was blood drops from the COMB.  It seems that either one of the other birds had bitten a comb or the comb had been injured somehow.  There was just the tiniest dark spot on the comb where it had been bleeding.  I didn't even think of that so I hadn't even noticed that there was a tiny scab. 

I've had the same thing. Combs apparently bleed a lot when pecked but by the time I found the blood Stella's comb had stopped bleeding.

I wouldn't personally treat for cocci ever but would of tried some hard boiled egg (perfect food for chickens) and some yogurt with various herbs to boost their immune system. I tend to think chickens like people have an off day now and then.

I saw her have a very bloody poop (posted a pic in the emergency forum) also, which makes me think that the source is internal.
I'll add some boiled eggs and yogurt.

I had extra wood mulch months ago and put them in the chicken run and as mulch in the garden. I was kind of scared later that maybe it was bad for the garden and the chickens. Since then I have seen that many of you have used them in your runs too. I also saw the link that someone posted on here about the Back to Eden guy. I am going to continue using the wood chips now, especially after seeing the film about wood mulch and seeing how much great soil and worms are under our bushes where we initially put the chips, even my garden is doing great.

You should see that dark rich soil. In the chicken run pretty much half of it was covered with wood chips and half not. The half that was not covered still gets muddy and nasty. I thought maybe I needed to put a roof on the whole run but after polling all of you, I decided to leave it open and add more wood mulch. The mulch seems to allow the rain water to seep under and disperse, so no mud and puddles.

I am also trying out composting food scraps and plant clippings in the run as well and let the chickens do the work. I'll add leaves, grass clippings and more too. Kind of like the video. The guy is a little odd, I will say, but he has a great working system.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and links to new discoveries, etc. It has been extremely helpful! It's nice to have a working system of composting and recycling here on our little farm of less then an acre. Chickens are so awesome, so is wood mulch and this thread!!!

Thank you!!!!!!
big_smile.png

I don't mean to disregard the suggestion about checking her comb. I'll go out and check her closely once I get my littles down for nap.
There was a little more blood under the roost this morning, though less than yesterday. Hopefully the mystery condition is improving.
What sort of herbs are immune boosting for chickens?

I don't mean to disregard the suggestion about checking her comb. I'll go out and check her closely once I get my littles down for nap.
There was a little more blood under the roost this morning, though less than yesterday. Hopefully the mystery condition is improving.
What sort of herbs are immune boosting for chickens?

I didn't take it that way. And no reason to apologize...you know your birds and what's going on. I just offered it as a FYI since it happened over here :D

At work so I don't have time to write more.

Back
Top Bottom