The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Do you have a problem with splintering with the pruners?

well, the spurs are so big, ....yes. The spur does kind of shatter, it is almost like carving it off. reminds me of chipping ice. Goes fast and easy. THe parts that shatter just fall off, the remaining spur is solid, not splintered. Hope that is understandable!

Appreciate all the spur replies.

The only spur removal I've ever read about is when you take off the outer hard coating. I never knew people actually cut or ground them down totally.

Has anyone just removed the spur casings rather than cutting/grinding?

PS: My roo never needed a trim. He was only 1.5 yo when he went to his new home so I haven't experience an older boy's growth.

All his talk about spurs makes me glad I can't have one.

I've heard mean Roos make good dumplings
1f61c.png

When I was treating bumble foot I put a gauze over the wound, then wrapped in gauze then put the corner of a plastic bag over it, I cut 3 holes in bag for her toes, then a little more gauze and duct tape. It kept the bandage and wound dry even in the rain and mud.

I was moving plants, hostas, lilies and spearmint to around the outside perimeter of the coop. How Stella & Edie are not missing toes or their heads is beyond me. Every time it started the hole they both were in it trying to get worms and bugs before the other. They were not scared of the incoming shovel. Of course then me putting the plant in the hole and packing dirt around it meant I had them both walking over my hands, the plants my head...........always an adventure.

The little peepers are getting big, I know the 3 black girls are girls. Little grey is still a guessing game. Feathers say girl but her wattles and comb have been red for weeks. She is tall to with big legs.

It's hard to see but behind the door are all the big girls complaining that they can't get the eggs and meat the peepers were having for a snack. The little ones deserve a snack in peace. They spend their day hoping back and forth into the veggie garden. It's the peaceful sanctuary for them and they love to nap under the flowers. They do a good job keeping pests out also. I've forgiven them for eating tomatoes and green pumpkins
1f601.png
1f413.png

When I was treating bumble foot I put a gauze over the wound, then wrapped in gauze then put the corner of a plastic bag over it, I cut 3 holes in bag for her toes, then a little more gauze and duct tape. It kept the bandage and wound dry even in the rain and mud.

Wow! Love the baggie idea for keeping the foot wound dry and clean! I'll have to be sure and remember that if I ever need it! Thanks!

Appreciate all the spur replies.

The only spur removal I've ever read about is when you take off the outer hard coating. I never knew people actually cut or ground them down totally.

Has anyone just removed the spur casings rather than cutting/grinding?

PS: My roo never needed a trim. He was only 1.5 yo when he went to his new home so I haven't experience an older boy's growth.

I have and used a pliers to push down and wiggle the casing off. There was a tiny bit of blood but I cleaned it off and disinfected it and off he went with the rest of the flock.
I was pretty proud of myself lol!

All his talk about spurs makes me glad I can't have one.

I've heard mean Roos make good dumplings
1f61c.png

I was moving plants, hostas, lilies and spearmint to around the outside perimeter of the coop. How Stella & Edie are not missing toes or their heads is beyond me. Every time it started the hole they both were in it trying to get worms and bugs before the other. They were not scared of the incoming shovel. Of course then me putting the plant in the hole and packing dirt around it meant I had them both walking over my hands, the plants my head...........always an adventure.

The little peepers are getting big, I know the 3 black girls are girls. Little grey is still a guessing game. Feathers say girl but her wattles and comb have been red for weeks. She is tall to with big legs.

It's hard to see but behind the door are all the big girls complaining that they can't get the eggs and meat the peepers were having for a snack. The little ones deserve a snack in peace. They spend their day hoping back and forth into the veggie garden. It's the peaceful sanctuary for them and they love to nap under the flowers. They do a good job keeping pests out also. I've forgiven them for eating tomatoes and green pumpkins
1f601.png
1f413.png
What kind of chickens are these? And do I see feathers on their legs? I have some Black Australorp mix girls and one has feathers on her legs and the other doesn't (different dads, I'm sure).

@armorfirelady

Those kiddos are looking good!

Thanks. I'm keeping them. I sold 3 of the big girls to make room for the peepers. I,actually only end up,with 1 more than the 8 I normally have with the lost of one of the babies.

Wow!  Love the baggie idea for keeping the foot wound dry and clean!  I'll have to be sure and remember that if I ever need it!  Thanks!

No problem. I had a hard time keeping her foot dry and the Baggie worked great.

@sunflower4you
One is a black copper Marans and the other 2 are EE. The EE have the cheek muffs.,The BCM has feathered legs as does little grey who wouldn't stand still long enough for a pic. I'm curious to see what the EE lay. I'm hoping for an olive colored egg. They have been very skittish around me but slowly they are learning I am the food lady & will come see what I am doing tho they won't let me touch them. I need to band one of the EE so I can tell them apart.

I am SO glad to see that mine are molting now. Last year it wasn't until December when it was ungodly cold.

Do y'all think that's an indication of a hard winter coming....or are my birds just getting into a more normal molt cycle?

Back
Top Bottom