The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Huh, never heard of a wool hen but i rather like the idea. I used the MHP (Mama Heating Pad) method for my last chicks and it's similar but basically a wire frame and heating pad on top or underneath the frame and yeah. It's similar and seems a lot more natural than a heat lamp. I guess the only difference with that is the heat the comes from the top rather than the bottom which is what a hen would do anyway but this way seems like it would work well too and the chicks seem to love it
Another poster has referred to this as a "broody bucket" because she uses a 5 gallon bucket with the wool strips hanging from the top.

The idea for the wool hen and the broody bucket is to use no heat at all. When I transfer the chicks outside I will remove the seedling mat. BUT there is a styrofoam box I am building right now that is key to the whole thing. That and sheer numbers of chicks. This time around I will have eleven or twelve outside with no heat beginning tonight or tomorrow. and I'm pretty sure they'll do fine. Because I've had seventeen chicks in outside in my earlier version (which was "borrowed" and never returned) Those chicks at three days old were in temps as low as 45 degrees overnight and 65 during the day with the wool hen. No illness. No apparent issues at all.

The idea here is to develop something that works to brood chicks without a broody hen and with no electricity needed at all. It looks like this is the ticket for that.

0.jpg

Three day old chicks. They spent the night in the wool hen. This is only the third time I have tried a wool hen, and these are the youngest chicks I have had outside with no heat lamp. These chicks are three days old and they have been outside 24 hours straight in 60 - 70 degree weather. There are 19 chicks in this brood.

I wasn't 100% sure how they would do so my first move was to take them all out of the wool hen and put them in my basket to observe them carefully. Every single one was warm and active!

Right after hatch I had them under the wool strips in a laundry basket. (see previous video on this channel) Under towels at the bottom of the laundry basket I had a seedling warming mat. Yesterday I removed the seedling mat just before taking the chicks outside. They don't appear to care.
Even the chick with the slightly open navel seems to be thriving.

High temp yesterday was 69°
Low temp last night was 53°
Forecast for today is the same.

I used about 1/4 of a 1" styrofoam panel, a wool blend blanket (100% wool is better but I didn't have any on hand) hardware cloth, duct tape, and an old cat bed/toy/napping thing.
Chicks. Thriving overnight outside in 53° weather with no broody and no supplemental heat.
@Leahs Mom You wished to see this? :D

Last edited:
For some reason, the computer is eating my posts, so, here goes again. This is a wonderful addition to the brooding tool box. It doesn't have to be an either/or approach when considering MHP vs WH. IMO, in my zone 4 area, I'd start with MHP, and graduate to WH, perhaps building an insulated box, using a box within a box with a layer of insulation (even newspaper would work) or using an old cooler upside down, door removed with a cave opening cut on both long sides, with duct tape sealing the exposed styrofoam. Exciting that it holds heat so well for chicks at 3 days old. Margaret, how many chicks???

For some reason, the computer is eating my posts, so, here goes again. This is a wonderful addition to the brooding tool box. It doesn't have to be an either/or approach when considering MHP vs WH. IMO, in my zone 4 area, I'd start with MHP, and graduate to WH, perhaps building an insulated box, using a box within a box with a layer of insulation (even newspaper would work) or using an old cooler upside down, door removed with a cave opening cut on both long sides, with duct tape sealing the exposed styrofoam. Exciting that it holds heat so well for chicks at 3 days old. Margaret, how many chicks???
in one of her posts.."19 chicks in this brood. "
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...eeping-thread-ots-welcome/38690#post_17379866

Back
Top Bottom