The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I don't know but Debby's egg may have lightened in fridge, but Violets are definitely darker in color
I think they do change in the refrigerator, except not the white ones.

YAY Violet!!!

Ok folks, another hangover egg nog recipe. This was very good, but trust me when I say a little goes a very long way. And it truly does get better with age. Debby, I made one very similar to yours for years, but it was a no cook recipe and used heavy cream.
:eek: yeah that would put me to sleep pretty fast. Interesting combination of alcohols, I wonder why someone decided they would be good together. I have to ASSUME they are or the recipe wouldn't be out there.

My goodness...so sorry to hear that @KDOGG331 , what happened?

Sorry to hear of your loss KD! What on earth happened?

How sad, was it accident or predator?

Thanks guys!

I let them out to free range and then I left for a few hours, which I normally never do. I normally am home. But I figured my parents were home. I guess they didn't notice I was gone or they were out, idk.

Anyway, I found her dead in the yard in a big huge hole my dog dug a while ago. Feathers everywhere and head and neck stripped bare but I THINK the head was still attached. Not sure.

So definitely some sort of predator sadly :hit

I just feel awful that the one time I left them alone something happens.

I asked on a FB group and lots said either fisher or hawk. With all the feathers, head still intact, silent strike, etc, I am leaning towards hawk but idk.

I have pictures of her if anyone cares to help ID but I would rather not remember her that way so won't post, at least here.

She was one of my favorites.

I think it was Penny the tiny scrawny littlest Orpington that was so sweet, calm, friendly, and gentle. She also went broody a lot (like 4 or 5 times this year lol) but was so gentle and never ever attacked me when I removed her and she never protested the broody buster cage.

She even asked for attention and to be held sometimes.

At least, I think she is the chicken I lost but positive identification is hard in the dark so I will know for sure tomorrow

Thanks guys!

I let them out to free range and then I left for a few hours, which I normally never do. I normally am home. But I figured my parents were home. I guess they didn't notice I was gone or they were out, idk.

Anyway, I found her dead in the yard in a big huge hole my dog dug a while ago. Feathers everywhere and head and neck stripped bare but I THINK the head was still attached. Not sure.

So definitely some sort of predator sadly :hit

I just feel awful that the one time I left them alone something happens.

I asked on a FB group and lots said either fisher or hawk. With all the feathers, head still intact, silent strike, etc, I am leaning towards hawk but idk.

I have pictures of her if anyone cares to help ID but I would rather not remember her that way so won't post, at least here.

She was one of my favorites.

I think it was Penny the tiny scrawny littlest Orpington that was so sweet, calm, friendly, and gentle. She also went broody a lot (like 4 or 5 times this year lol) but was so gentle and never ever attacked me when I removed her and she never protested the broody buster cage.

She even asked for attention and to be held sometimes.

At least, I think she is the chicken I lost but positive identification is hard in the dark so I will know for sure tomorrow
:fl

Thank you! I hope it's not her but I have a feeling it is :(
Well, don't beat yourself up too much over it....things like that happens and could've even had ya been at home. It is the unfortunate side of raising and caring for animals. Sometimes there is a reason and sometimes there isn't, but there will be others....not quite the same, but they will have specialties that grab ya too.....keep your chin up and move forward, the others are depending on ya too....:hugs

Well, we can hope for a little while!

That's true!

Well, don't beat yourself up too much over it....things like that happens and could've even had ya been at home. It is the unfortunate side of raising and caring for animals. Sometimes there is a reason and sometimes there isn't, but there will be others....not quite the same, but they will have specialties that grab ya too.....keep your chin up and move forward, the others are depending on ya too....:hugs

Thanks a lot! That really helps :hugs (idk if that's the right emoji back?)

Back
Top Bottom