The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

KD you'd love hot chocolate served in Germany. You can only get it in a bakery. They bring you an empty cup and a tray with some cyan Pepper, cinnamon and several other spices. In the center of the tray is a whip cream can and on either side of it is a little carafe one with melted dark chocolate and the other with hot cream. It's up to you to decide how to build your hot chocolate. Of course you also have to get something sweet to go with it. :drool

KD you'd love hot chocolate served in Germany. You can only get it in a bakery. They bring you an empty cup and a tray with some cyan Pepper, cinnamon and several other spices. In the center of the tray is a whip cream can and on either side of it is a little carafe one with melted dark chocolate and the other with hot cream. It's up to you to decide how to build your hot chocolate. Of course you also have to get something sweet to go with it. :drool

OMG that sounds so amazing!! I need to get to Germany sometime!! Haha

OMG that sounds so amazing!! I need to get to Germany sometime!! Haha
The food there is just amazing.When I was living in the hotel, they invited me to family dinner (restaurant is closed on Wed, so I ate with the family that owned the place on that day). I convinced them to let me cook for them on that day, since the chef deserved a day off too. What fun that turned out to be. They insisted that they buy all the ingredients, but let me slip some in as well.

So I cooked Thai, Chinese, Irish, American, Cajun, Mexican, Texmex and Italian for them. Tried to make it radically different each week. After the first night, the chef dutifully followed me each week with his notepad. They loved American Pizza and Lasagna. I think the Thai spicy chicken was probably a bit much for their pallets (they drank a LOT of beer that night). And I became a permanent fixture in the kitchen learning from him. The last meal I cooked for them was Jaguar schnitzel and fries. It was the only German dinner I was brave enough to serve them.

It was a fun time for all... Oh, if you do go, don't ask for a glass of milk with dinner. You'll seriously PO the waitress. Because she'll have to go down and get it from the farmer.

The food there is just amazing.When I was living in the hotel, they invited me to family dinner (restaurant is closed on Wed, so I ate with the family that owned the place on that day). I convinced them to let me cook for them on that day, since the chef deserved a day off too. What fun that turned out to be. They insisted that they buy all the ingredients, but let me slip some in as well.

So I cooked Thai, Chinese, Irish, American, Cajun, Mexican, Texmex and Italian for them. Tried to make it radically different each week. After the first night, the chef dutifully followed me each week with his notepad. They loved American Pizza and Lasagna. I think the Thai spicy chicken was probably a bit much for their pallets (they drank a LOT of beer that night). And I became a permanent fixture in the kitchen learning from him. The last meal I cooked for them was Jaguar schnitzel and fries. It was the only German dinner I was brave enough to serve them.

It was a fun time for all... Oh, if you do go, don't ask for a glass of milk with dinner. You'll seriously PO the waitress. Because she'll have to go down and get it from the farmer.

Wow that is amazing!!! Sounds like an awesome time!

Good morning!! Heading for home this afternoon. I gotta say, it’s been hot here, it’s been tired here, but I have never had so much fun at a Grand Lodge - ever!!!!

Glad you had fun B! Was this the event Katie was going to with you (I remember a pretty pants outfit picture).

Wish you would have told me about the hot chocolate before I went! We had some amazing food there but I missed out on that treat :drool

It’s snowing at home in the BigHorns, and it’s sticking. . Seriously?

I'm not surprised Blooie, it's going to be down in the 30's the next 2 nights here.

(Went back and edited this to break it up a bit to make it easier to read. Sorry, yet another novel :lau )

The littles have been becoming more and more brave. They went a little bit further out on the grass after a while (followed of course by an immediate retreat to their “safe zone” under the coop lol) and then they figured out how to get into the bigs run and around to the other side of the run in some pine branches my dad cut down and some tall grass. The bigs didn’t seem to mind but I didn’t let the littles eat the bigs food cause it’s still layer feed. Haven’t switched to a kind safe for everybody yet. Though they didn’t seem too interested.

Anyway, I think they would probably be fine for full integration as everyone seems fine with each other. The little Leghorn is so brave and runs right up to the bigs lol she even drank water with them (brought their open waterer outside) and even was scratching around right next to one of the bigs. She has no problems mingling. She’s BOLD and SASSY. LOL but not stupid. Knows when to back down and/or retreat. Speaking of which, that is my main concern with integration.

Now that they have been free ranging together more often (probably 3 or 4 days now, didn’t yesterday) and have been mingling a little more (at first they stayed totally separate across the yard from each other ha) their personalities are starting to come out and one of my Orpingtons is being a real B word. She has pecked them and even fluffed her neck and charged a little bit usually for no reason. Done it several times today and it’s making me a little bit worried. Even my head hens are fine with them. In fact, one of the head hens is the one the leghorn was foraging next to. I thought she was going to peck the little but she just looked at what she was eating a couple times (grass lol) and went on her way. They even sometimes move out of the littles way and almost seem a little scared of them some. They are all fine. Not even so much as a peck. Except this Orpington who is downright vicious. And it’s making me a little nervous. I mean, she doesn’t keep coming at them once they run away, which I guess is good, but still.

I understand some pecking and that their pecking order has to be sorted out but this one just is so mean for no reason. I know they have to be integrated at some point but they just still seem so little and I am worried she is going to hurt them. Or that they may get trapped in the nest boxes.

I have read you are supposed to put a board or something in the corners of the run so they can’t get trapped? So I think I am going to do that because she cornered one in the run and fluffed up at it/went at it and it made me nervous. But even with the corners blocked off I still worry they could get seriously injured or killed. :(

And I didn’t really get close ups of the chicks today but here’s where they were hanging out and where they usually hang out. They usually stick to that framed in area and right around it but they ventured far today ha also my other big concern has been that they wouldn’t be able to get up and down the ramp as it is pretty steep but Sweetpea figured it out immediately! She didn’t go all the way up but went like halfway and back down with no problems.

A1013DB8-9973-4305-9ED1-BC350B34D891.jpeg 535644A5-8797-4073-8412-A1B4194F46D7.jpeg 16004123-FEC5-4333-8F06-CFE9D84AF278.jpeg BBFA8DF1-AF76-4C78-B759-E9F6D74C2B95.jpeg 76CD5084-F442-479A-8D9F-1B870B132DC2.jpeg FAC1350F-2F51-4901-B5B9-CEAA5C440A9A.jpeg D6482A51-9528-497B-A521-51E2CDECF461.jpeg 193A5145-4203-4D88-B3A5-8EB23B5FFF99.jpeg 49AC823E-7B7C-4CDD-B455-749921047F7C.jpeg 89C1D2C3-B318-48B0-825F-6B18A161EAE1.jpeg 8A664709-00F0-4E66-B651-936A1AE543C7.jpeg 9A92540C-01FB-4CE2-B2EA-D9AEA367F0A6.jpeg E174719E-82AE-46C7-AB42-88C25A384048.jpeg 01FEE059-2CF8-47F1-A015-CE5012EECADF.jpeg 89E59C20-55B7-4545-A7A6-F083BE8A3114.jpeg 0B4F860D-1329-473E-A1E6-FC06A9FF2BBC.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom