The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I was congratulating myself for sleeping until 6am. Then, the same as you, saw the time on my computer. Ugh! Oh well, 5am is still better than I usually do.

Now for every clock in the house to be different for about the next 5 days. :rolleyes:
It'll be a rough week or two before 'we' get readjusted to the change. :D I hate the time changes, just pick one and leave it there! :mad:

Might be worth having the vet send the prescription in if it is that much cheaper.

Though I think I would feel awkward doing that haha
I don't think she cares. In fact they don't even stock it (did have 1 bottle). She said because it has a short shelf life. But I looked at the box, it is good for 2 years unopened. The "once opened" expiration is 2 months so yeah, don't want to buy a big bottle if you aren't going to use it up.

Ugh! Oh well, 5am is still better than I usually do.
That's for sure!

It'll be a rough week or two before 'we' get readjusted to the change. :D I hate the time changes, just pick one and leave it there! :mad:
Yep. I only hear people say/type that opinion. I wonder if there is a large contingent that like it the way it is.

Say, now THAT is a question they should put on the census. Find out if people want to dump Daylight "Saving" Time.

I don't think she cares. In fact they don't even stock it (did have 1 bottle). She said because it has a short shelf life. But I looked at the box, it is good for 2 years unopened. The "once opened" expiration is 2 months so yeah, don't want to buy a big bottle if you aren't going to use it up.

That's for sure!

Yep. I only hear people say/type that opinion. I wonder if there is a large contingent that like it the way it is.

Say, now THAT is a question they should put on the census. Find out if people want to dump Daylight "Saving" Time.

That makes sense!! I’m sure they get asked all the time nowadays with the Internet but me personally I’d feel weird asking :lau idk why. I just would worry it was rude or something or that they’d say no cause they wouldn’t be making the money lol I’m weird like that

This is very long. Sorry in advance. :oops:

Did try to break it up though and also put the main point at the beginning instead of the end. Progress. :lau :oops:

Anyway, here goes.

I am exhausted and probably going to head to bed early tonight. Already been in bed a while actually :lau

Loaded and unloaded 3 full trailer loads of wood chips into the chicken run today as well as raked up a bunch of leaves to put in there and moved some railroad ties by myself since my dad didn’t want to help me as it was late and dark by this point.

Also walked back and forth across the (very large) yard several times because the wood chip pile is in the front yard and the chickens are in the back. I figured I could use the exercise so walked instead of riding in the trailer. :lau

I don’t know if I ever mentioned it but dad and DB rented a chipper last weekend and chipped a bunch of stuff so we have several huge piles of, mostly pine, wood chips now.

I’ve always wanted to do deep litter in the run so this was a perfect opportunity to start. Would have put them in last weekend but everyone was exhausted after chipping everything.

My dad drives the tractor so I couldn’t do it by myself.

Well, could probably learn but haven’t. :oops:

Anyway, my dad did the driving while I did the loading and unloading. Although he did actually load the first load into the trailer without me cause I went inside for a few minutes and he did help load the last one cause I was getting tired but I loaded the other one and I did all the unloading.

The trailer also didn’t fit in the run so we couldn’t just back it in and dump it which would have been so much easier. Oh no. I had to scoop it all back out one pitchfork full at a time. Took a long time and a lot of work. The pitchfork was also a little too tall which made it hard to maneuver inside the run and took some extra turning/effort. Would have been easier if I had a shorter handle on it. Oh well.

Anyway, dad wanted to stop after the second one as he thought it was getting dark and also thought there was enough chips in there. I thought we had plenty of daylight left and that it wasn’t as deep as I wanted yet and therefore needed another trailer full. I won. :lau

Well, not really since I had to do all the work, but I wanted to just get it done today rather than add more tomorrow cause I know I was going to decide to later. Might as well just finish the task now and be done with it.

Anyway, I then also stayed out well after dark because I got carried away raking leaves up. I didn’t have to. We were planning on loading the tractor up tomorrow but I wanted to at least put “just a few” in now and you know how that goes haha so I ended up being out there an additional hour or two after dark doing that. I got some flashlights and turned on the outside lights so I could see.

And before I did that I also lugged a couple railroad ties/old fence posts/wood over to put along the fence to help prevent the chips from coming out. Not sure what good it will do. Need to be one higher probably but the other ones were too heavy for me to get.

Wanted to put hardware cloth along the fence and will eventually but that was just too big of a task for today. Maybe tomorrow.

But I decided to put the ties down for now and hopefully help a little bit cause it was faster and easier than HC.

They usually kick everything out since the run is a chain link dog kennel so big holes.

But hopefully the ties will help. Had to rake up/scrape/clean up a bit along the fence too before putting the ties down so they would sit flush or as flush as possible.

Also got an additional cinder block to prop the waterer up on since it was now too low with all that new material in there.

Also refilled it while I was at it and while I had the hose on, decided to hose down the run. Read that’s good for compost.

Speaking of which, the wood chip pile was so hot and there was steam coming off it when we were digging and it was very hot/warm to the touch. It was very impressive. It’s only been sitting there a week. Man science is cool LOL

Oh and also earlier today before all this I refilled the chickens food today too so that’s part of why I did the water. Figured I might as well refill both on the same day. Got the eggs today too.

And of course the girls got to free range while we were doing the wood chips.

We started maybe mid to late afternoon, maybe around 2 or 2:30, and I didn’t come inside until like 6:45 cause I was working away and so obsessed with finishing what I was doing. Should have started sooner then it wouldn’t have been dark but we all had other stuff going on before then but I still made the best of it and got a ton done.

Meanwhile, while I was out there still working away in the dark, my dad was cooking dinner.

When I did finally came in, I ate a bit like a ravenous dog that hasn’t seen food in months :lau :oops:

With manners of course.

But I had worked up a major appetite haha

Then took a nice hot shower and watched a little bit of the football game but not really super interested in it and very tired anyway. Probably going to go to sleep now. Long, exhausting day.

Here are some pictures of the run.

CBCA2BC1-DF4B-4521-B9D0-DE174FC05EA1.jpeg F61092ED-0A18-4B49-B2A5-231AD8446EAD.jpeg 04A30C37-8A83-4A1C-89E8-A15CC6D65052.jpeg 765920DC-FD24-4DB1-834A-A7B8B1F7C2AD.jpeg E8B0F954-B23D-4FF1-932E-BA48D63FE3C1.jpeg 8702DEC8-7706-46FF-9D9C-F5E8A04C6CB7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom