The Old Folks Home

My granddaughter just turned 7 this weekend, and I just received the "flockmaster" title from BYC, so we thought we'd celebrate with a bottled coke and put up the new picture in my avatar. :eek:)

Michael I noticed your new avatar - your granddaughter is growing up. Also congrats on your 5,000+ posts, I KNOW you earned most of them by pulling 'combat duty,' on the new members introduction thread- some days it can be very rough.

This is a great place to 'let your hair down,' I should know.
gig.gif

Welcome Michael!

bama, I told DH we are moving to Alabama. He started whining about the commute to, and from work. The wimp!

I freeze water in Gatorade bottles, and around noon, float them in the water buckets. I also freeze water in gallon jugs that have a few nail holes on one side towards the top. I set these on the ground in the coop. As the ice melts, the cold water drips out of the nail holes which creates a nice cool wet spot for them.

The colored eggs look so lovely arranged on the platter that way.

Thanks for clarifying that the picture with the chicken on the lap is getting a massage, and not dead. It's a pretty chicken.

Doesn't everyone take their chicken with them when they go to get their hair done?

Woo Hoo Congrats.... I have NO idea when mine popped in...

deb

Michael I noticed your new avatar - your granddaughter is growing up. Also congrats on your 5,000+ posts, I KNOW you earned most of them by pulling 'combat duty,' on the new members introduction thread- some days it can be very rough.

This is a great place to 'let your hair down,' I should know.
gig.gif

Welcome Michael!
Thanks everyone. I didn't even realize until I had been posting for a while that the titles beneath my user name were changing. When I saw that was happening, I researched it on BYC's search engine and found a listing of the different titles and the post totals required to achieve them.

Quote: I hope it will work for you Linda. Please let me know if it does.
My pens and runs and coops are all under huge old oak trees and get mostly shade nearly all day. But they still are just to hot. I also have the humidity to deal with but the cool water cools the birds off. Even though my turkey have pools to cool their selves in they stay so hot that I have to spray them down good to cool them off.
We have abt. 8 young pullets that have just started laying and the eggs are so small that I used some for pickled eggs. I still have a bunch of pullets that are not laying yet.

Here's a thought for the redneck AC, you could bury a pipe in the ground, deep enough to be in some cooler ground, and have both ends up in the air. Then install a solar fan to pull air through the pipe, letting it cool down on the way through the ground. I'm thinking the temp should drop at least a couple of degrees, especially if the pipe is long and deep enough.

Here's a thought for the redneck AC, you could bury a pipe in the ground, deep enough to be in some cooler ground, and have both ends up in the air. Then install a solar fan to pull air through the pipe, letting it cool down on the way through the ground. I'm thinking the temp should drop at least a couple of degrees, especially if the pipe is long and deep enough.

That's going to be one deep hole.

Back
Top Bottom