The Old Folks Home

I grew beets in my green house, got lots and it was hot hot hot this year. So hot the squash and cucumbers had heat stress ( tomatoes and peppers too ) just water lots... They where heirloom, maybe thats was the kicker.
Russian kale did great in the greenhouse too, go figure.

Africa is a rather large continent spanning lots of degrees of latitude. If they grow then in the Congo then I have a chance. I can buy fresh beets here that are grown at 5000ft. Peas, iceberg lettuce and Celery too.

My compost is making a huge difference to the gardens. Our vegetable garden produced small tomatoes, bell peppers, bitter melon, calabasa squash, okra, spinach, Chinese watercress, Chinese long beans and egg plant in its first season.

The new guys are very excited about the veggie garden and have planned chayote and more long beans already this week.

Everyone finally understands my insistence in using pig and chicken poop in conjunction with rice husks and free sawdust to make as much compost as possible. We put 3 cubic yards in the veggies and fruit trees this week.

It takes a month to build that much then a second month to let it cook. The tropics really accelerates the process.

Last edited:
Yep, and then you lured him out there to help you get them into the coop and probably put dying batteries in his flashlight so he couldn't see where he was going - OMG, he'd better hire a detective, a bodyguard and a whole law firm; it's patently obvious that you're trying to kill him!!
hide.gif

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm married, too, so I know how it is - everything that ever happens around here is my fault.
roll.png

LOL Good thing he doesn't read over my shoulder. I'd never hear the end of it. LOL

Yummy, tomato and mayo sandwiches...I LOVE them! I'm drooling!

Do you salt them?
I put too much mayo on them and can't take them too often. LOL If I put a "normal" amount of mayo on them, it's not enough. I just can't get it right.

My husband always looks at me and says, "Cravings? Are you pregnant?" Always makes me mad! Had my tubes tied 28 years ago and he still thinks that joke is funny.

Yeah, my DH and I used to do that too. Remember a bad moment and bring it up for a long time. I was usually doing it in retaliation for something he would throw up. We hit a point that we realized that we had better let some of that go. Everyone has shining moments too. If all that is every brought up is your screw ups you are poisoning your relationship. So when I find myself tempted to bring up some famous fail I think back to an incident when he came through with shining stars. (I won't share the details but he once made some drug dealers that had chased each other through our trailer park shooting move on.)

Oh, no, I didn't mean it in a bad way. It's all joking in fun. Maaaybe a little maliciousness behind it but not enough to make a fuss over.

@Hangtown Farms Any signs of rain coming soon?

Wisher, that's a monster tomato. Is there a lot of taste in them too?

Oz, it really is a spectacular process. Oh, the TV was sold by the way, hope you manage to find a suitable model on site instead. You're still welcome to come for a steak though. I even promise to wash my hands.

Last edited:
Lol, mine are doing their first time molt as well...hideous looking girls! But they will soon be beautiful again
smile.png
I've up'd their protein a bit by adding wheat seeds & sprouts and adding split peas to their fermented feed, which they love. My vet suggested the extra protein during molt season.

Do you use dried split peas or do you soak them first?

Back
Top Bottom