The Old Folks Home

Quote:
so sad.... isnt Pedialite for children? I wonder if its formulated for only children... and not adults? Critter is her husbands nick name.

People dont know that heat stroke is messing with your core temperature.... just like getting too cold hypothermia... That core temperature cannot change more than one or two degrees either up or down.....

The electrolytes will help the chemical part of keeping cool... But keeping cool is very important now.

deb

Quote:
Yep after a hundred its just a hundred.... As long as the humidity stays down. Bump that humidity up and it gets very hard to breathe. But the only time I want the AC on is if I am working in the house on stuff. of course we have fans going for air circulation... And If I were at home I would have the swamp cooler on.

At 100 I am good for most stuff.... after 110 i am toast... But thankfully those are only a few days out of the year... just like deep freeze cold stuff, I imagine that too is something to endure only a few days out of the year.

deb

I suppose not many people in Maine have air conditioning.

Dodged a rain bullet last night. It skirted us and we just got a few drops.

Nope almost no one has A/C up here. We get maybe 2 weeks or so each year of HOT. The rest is tolerable.
Glad the rain missed you. Are you starting to dry out?

Critter has gotten a rather painful reminder that he's not as young as he once was.

The temperatures have been in the upper 90's, with our usual high humidity; the air is so thick, you aren't sure whether you should breathe it or drink it. I can remember working outside all day even with the temps over 100 when we were in our 20's, and coming back for more the next day. But we were young and stupid then, and in better physical condition, too. A couple of days ago, Critter got himself into trouble. He'd been complaining that the heat seemed to be bothering him more than it used to, and he apparently just pushed it a little too far. He came home with a headache, muscle cramps, and feeling totally wiped out; he spent the whole day in the house yesterday, and still isn't 100% today. Fortunately, the weather has "broken" for a bit - it was in the low 70's with a nice breeze when I went out to feed the animals this morning. That felt delightfully cool - a night time low of 85 sucks!

It's amazing how quickly the heat drains everything out of you. I agree with rest and gatorade.

@superchemicalgirl I love those old Singers. The are still used routinely in the Philippines. A stocking works well as a belt til you get a replacement.

Nice of you to re-join us. How's the homestead? How are the pigs? How are the kids?

And you know me better than that... I don't own stockings. I have a couple pairs of fishnets but I think I'll just wait out my internet order for the real leather belt.

My son visited her and I asked what it was like. He said "Death." That's enough for me. I vote NO.

The heat is just oppressive out there. Dsqard took me on a hike, my first one ever in Zion, and I swear it was 600 degrees out there. I felt like I was melting. With the humidity that low I get dehydrated really fast and my skin feels like I'm wearing lizard skin. It takes me about a week once I'm home to fully moisturize internally and externally. Give me snow and ice over that.

Critter has been doing nursery/landscaping work for more than 30 years. In addition, he used to be an avid cyclist; we went on a few 100-mile bike rides when we were in our early 30's. So, yeah, he's pretty well educated on how to deal with heat. He's been taking this little episode as an opportunity to educate himself on heat exhaustion/heat stroke, too.
roll.png

Critter has been doing nursery/landscaping work for more than 30 years. In addition, he used to be an avid cyclist; we went on a few 100-mile bike rides when we were in our early 30's. So, yeah, he's pretty well educated on how to deal with heat. He's been taking this little episode as an opportunity to educate himself on heat exhaustion/heat stroke, too.
roll.png

You could always tell him what my doctor tells me, "Well, you know you're not 25 anymore."
smack.gif

roll.png

I have had heat stroke.... afterwards I was susceptible to getting over heated for about two years... Or maybe I was more sensitive to the symptoms before hand...

Glad hes on the mend and aware of the needs to mend.

deb

Nice of you to re-join us. How's the homestead? How are the pigs? How are the kids?

And you know me better than that... I don't own stockings. I have a couple pairs of fishnets but I think I'll just wait out my internet order for the real leather belt.

Things are well. Kids are growing fast. Toni, now 5, is doing very well in ballet. Enzo, turning 4, is into Tae Kwan Do.

The pigs are doing well. Our third generation to our goals are going to be born in 10 weeks.

Chickens are selling. We sell about 250-300 per month,

Human resources is the hard part. Keeping staff is tough.

As far as stockings go - i thought maybe you had some in your cos play draw. They are great for a fan belt in the car too.

The heat is just oppressive out there. Dsqard took me on a hike, my first one ever in Zion, and I swear it was 600 degrees out there. I felt like I was melting. With the humidity that low I get dehydrated really fast and my skin feels like I'm wearing lizard skin. It takes me about a week once I'm home to fully moisturize internally and externally. Give me snow and ice over that.
Be careful what you wish for SCG. Remember last winter?
I've been busy getting a few UFO's (unfinished objects) done this weekend. I got the "bug jar" quilt done this morning. I am sending it to my niece. It reminds me of when I was a kid collecting fireflies in the summer. I woke DH up from a nap to help get the picture.
wink.png

I finished up the summer runner that SCG and I were working on. I really needed to get this done as I still have the Easter runner on the table.
hide.gif

I also had a little "buddy" on my sewing machine today and figured it would bust out the macro lens. I like all the detail in it.

Back
Top Bottom