The Olive-Egger thread!

Ok here are the pics of the one I was unsure of.

The white and 2 dark chicks are BCM, (I was going to use in breeding olive eggers, but hubby says no more hatching.) and 2 blue/gray olive eggers, (frizzle and blue isbar mixes)

Last edited:
Is there a reason everyone uses Maran roo with ameraucana hens? I was gonna use Ameraucana roo with maran hens? Is there an advantage of the maran roo?

You need a dark egg, non darker than a Marans. I have used Cream Legbar. Just need the blue egg gene.

Sorry misread the question. Doesn't matter...... dark brown egg chicken with blue egg chicken.

Last edited:
Rooster question...

I have a young roo bred from my own stock. His mother is an Olive Egger (light olive egg color), father was my Cuckoo Marans rooster. So technically he is an Olive Egger rooster? He us cuckoo with a mix of colors with a nice pea comb. If I want more Olive Eggers, do I breed him to a blue egger, light olive egger, or Marans hen? I have all of those choices.

Also, what do you think about a light olive egger hen crossed with Spitzhauben rooster. I have another young roo of this cross. Is there any way to know what genes he may pass along? I'm guessing the white egg of the Spitzhauben will lighten the light olive egg? Would he be considered an Olive Egger...or just a fancy looking Easter Egger??

I also have some young girls of this mix. They are just under 3 months old, so probably won't know egg color for a while.

I'm very curious about the Spithauben crosses. They have made stunning birds!

Back
Top Bottom