The Olive-Egger thread!

Yes, I did peel the membrane off the inside on the left side of the photo (to reveal the olive color). You have a good memory Ron. I checked and it was three years ago that I posted this! Back then you suggested it could be a thin-shelled egg (as in, the inner blue she'll never formed). It didn't feel thin-shelled though, so I like the porous explanation better. Normally, I would not have noticed the color under the membrane, but at the time, I was peeling the membranes off all my used eggs and saving the shells for an egg-shell mosaic.
Please, please tell me what you used to put it together and what you used for a canvas. I love the used egg shell idea for a mosaic. You did a wonderful job on it.
Thank you for the kind comments. This was for a gallery fundraiser, and we were supplied with a 6" square of smooth plywood to create whatever we wanted. I painted the plywood with black acrylic paint. The pieces were added with plain old Elmer's glue, which I painted on in small sections with a brush. When it was finished, I painted the whole thing with a product called Mod Podge.

I hatched only 2 OE pullets this spring, out of a couple dozen eggs I set. Oh well, I'm happy with the girls I do have.
smile.png

This girl should be giving me eggs any day now.

I hatched only 2 OE pullets this spring, out of a couple dozen eggs I set. Oh well, I'm happy with the girls I do have.
smile.png

Really pretty - you got two good ones! I LOVE the puffy cheeks on the first one!

smile.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catandherchicks

Sorry your hatch was bad, but the two you have are lovely. (It could have been worse; they could have been roosters.
big_smile.png
)

x2 - two roosters would have been a bummer lol.
The first one looks just like a wheaten Ameraucana. The second one has amazing markings - the contrast between dark and light is so cool. What two breeds and variations exactly did you cross to get these two lovely little ladies?

I have eggs in incubator due to hatch Tuesday. Some are olive egger hens with white leghorn rooster. What will I get from them?
You will get green and white eggs mostly. The leghorn will have two white egg shell genes. The OE hens will usually only have one blue and one white. That leaves the chance that some hens will have two white egg shell genes and will lay white or brown eggs.

Leghorns have a brown coating suppressor gene too so the green will be not as dark usually.

The will likely lay a lot of eggs though!

Last edited:
I have an Olive Egger roo that I'm trying to decide if I am going to keep. If I bred him over my Easter Eggers, what are the chances that the offspring could lay an olive egg? I purchased Olive Egger eggs for hatching so I could have some olive eggs, but only 1 hatched and it's a rooster!

Back
Top Bottom