The Olive-Egger thread!

The olives are here! Dad was a "silver ameraucana" (is that a thing, even?), mom was a marans or a Welsummer. Feisty little things!

The olives are here! Dad was a "silver ameraucana" (is that a thing, even?), mom was a marans or a Welsummer. Feisty little things!
Cute babies! What kind of marans might the mother be? Even if I mix the eggs up once the babies hatch I can tell which have the marans in them (Can't always tell which color marans initially, but the truth will out.) or welsumer.
I don't know which marans you were using in your crosses, but if those babies were mine they would be welsumer crosses because of the chipmunk patterning and what I can see of the legs. My marans have feathered legs and so their babies, even in crosses have feathered legs, while the welsumer cross babies are clean legged.

They are shipped eggs so I can only trust the breeder, but i was told the momma marans were blue/black/splash, or it was a Welsummer. I suspect Welsummer moms on these two, in my extremely limited experience.

They look like welsummer mixes to me too. I have a couple hens from that same cross. They are just full of personality. Mine don't lay olive eggs but the welsummer eggs that they hatched from didn't have very good color either.

They are shipped eggs so I can only trust the breeder, but i was told the momma marans were blue/black/splash, or it was a Welsummer. I suspect Welsummer moms on these two, in my extremely limited experience.

Did you get any babies that weren't chipmunk patterned? Any black or blue (greyish downed) babies? How many eggs hatched?

Did you get any babies that weren't chipmunk patterned?  Any black or blue (greyish downed) babies?  How many eggs hatched?

I only got those two, I was so hoping for a blue. Only three chicks hatched, three more eggs are still in the incubator, overdue. The third chick had different parentage, from a different breeder.

Just to make this simple for me and to make sure I understand the whole breeding to get olive eggers. If I breed my black copper maran rooster to blue/black ameraucana hens. Then I will have f1 olive eggers? All of the offspring from that breeding of the marans rooster and the ameraucana hens will always be olive eggers? Then if I breed those F1 olive eggers hens back to another marans rooster then they will be F2 that lay darker olive eggs? And those F2 will all be olive eggers?

Thanks for the help, I just have to work them out and get conformation to understand it. Thank you.

Will.

Just to make this simple for me and to make sure I understand the whole breeding to get olive eggers. If I breed my black copper maran rooster to blue/black ameraucana hens. Then I will have f1 olive eggers?
All of the offspring from that breeding of the marans rooster and the ameraucana hens will always be olive eggers?
Then if I breed those F1 olive eggers hens back to another marans rooster then they will be F2 that lay darker olive eggs? And those F2 will all be olive eggers?
They would be BC1 (Back Cross 1)......50% chance blue gene will pass down, any green eggs should be darker than the F1 eggs.

Thanks for the help, I just have to work them out and get conformation to understand it. Thank you.

Will.
After that it get's really confusing(to me anyway)....until you immerse yourself and begin to learn the language, but can still be a bit of a crap shoot after F1.

Back
Top Bottom