The Olive-Egger thread!

When I cross beards and muffs to a non beard and muff I get mixed chicks
I found this here on BYC:

Beards and muffs are dominant, so if you don't see them you wont get chicks with them. Birds will be either homozygous(two copies of the gene) or heterozygous(one).
If you breed two heterozygous birds you can still get 25% clean faced ones. The birds with only one copy can have smaller beards/muffs

How dark is an f1 olive egg .
It depends. There are too many brown egg genes involved to consistently predict the egg color even with established/known parent stock.

The shade of green that each of us call 'olive egger' isn't clearly defined and can be so dark that you can barely see any blue under it, to a shade that is closer to what a common Easter Egger lays.

So what breed cockbird did you use over the EE...and were all resulting pullets blue shelled layers?

I found it easiest to test the cockerels in each subsequent cross personally. The birds I used to test the genetics of a cockerel in question were single combed White Leghorn and single combed Red Sex Link. Any straight combed chicks tells me he is homozygous. All of my resulting pullets(100%) have been olive green(Red Sex Link hen) or blue egg laying pea combed birds.

I am still waiting on the current U of A cockerel however, his girls were hatched December 6th so they are a ways away from laying any eggs yet. All of his girls and boys hatched out with pea combs though.

It depends.  There are too many brown egg genes involved to consistently predict the egg color even with established/known parent stock.

The shade of green that each of us call 'olive egger' isn't clearly defined and can be so dark that you can barely see any blue under it, to a shade that is closer to what a common Easter Egger lays. 

These are from F2 olive eggers crossed back to Black Copper marans. The hen strongly resembles a BCM with a modified pea comb. These will be hatched as F3s, but are getting close to being dark browns though.

These are from F2 olive eggers crossed back to Black Copper marans. The hen strongly resembles a BCM with a modified pea comb. These will be hatched as F3s, but are getting close to being dark browns though.
Very cool eggs! Love the speckles too.

One of my current F1 Olive eggers started out a very nice shade of green but being a daily egg layer her eggs have faded to just your average green egg from an EE. Her sister started laying a few weeks ago and is still laying a nice shade of green but she is only laying about 3 days in a row before taking a day off which is less productive than her sister. These eggs are from the first hen before they faded in color - the three green ones I mean, the blue and white are obviously different birds
tongue.png

Last edited:
FINALLY some egg pictures! I have a looooong wait before I get any olive eggs (hopefully!) so keep those egg shots coming! C'mon... We know you wanna show them off
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom