The Olive-Egger thread!

Hello All! Am looking for 2-3 olive egger pullets. I am in FL and willing to drive a few hours for pickup. Barring that, will pay for shipping within reason. Looking for some extra color! Thank you.

I have some little OE in lockdown--they are UofA Blues crossed with Crele Penedesenca.
can't wait to see them. I absolutely love seeing the Penedesenca gene spread
thumbsup.gif

Freshly hatched batch. Of note is the F2 OE chick whose head is the bottommost right...the white/brown/black striped one between the Rhodebar chicks. All the other F2 OE were black, peacombed I think, some with poofy cheeks. Is this a throwback to ?? I thought these were BCM X Ameraucauna F1 crossed back to BCM (shipped eggs). The eggs were all a nice olive color.
Any comments on the oddly striped brown chick?

@Ihilani: My OEs have all hatched blue or black...I've had EEs (sold to me as Ameraucana) with the chipmunk pattern that grew into a buff Ameraucana look. Does she have poofy cheeks or pea comb? Good to know that she hatched from an Olive Egg, very interested in how she turns out.

I've got some Ameraucana and CCL eggs being shipped to me next week, sooooo excited!

Hello All! Am looking for 2-3 olive egger pullets. I am in FL and willing to drive a few hours for pickup. Barring that, will pay for shipping within reason. Looking for some extra color! Thank you.

Sorry! I'm a bit far from you. Good luck in your search, is DMRippy near you? She keeps quite the variety and I think she's down South...although I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited:
Any comments on the oddly striped brown chick?

Most of our F1's last year and the two F2's that hatched this week were chipmunks. They are crosses from EE's, BCM, Welsummer, and Penedesenca. I did have one solid black chick last year and she looks like a BCM and lays a brown egg with major dark brown specks. Maybe they will look like BCM with a pea comb and lay lovely olive speckled eggs for you.

Most of our F1's last year and the two F2's that hatched this week were chipmunks. They are crosses from EE's, BCM, Welsummer, and Penedesenca. I did have one solid black chick last year and she looks like a BCM and lays a brown egg with major dark brown specks. Maybe they will look like BCM with a pea comb and lay lovely olive speckled eggs for you.
here are some Crele Penedesenca x silver ameraucana crosses

Ive seen some folks making OEs with SBELs. SBEL are ameraucaua x leghorn, so are heterozygous for the blue gene. So if you cross these with a dark brown egg layer, wouldn't only half of these offsprings lay olive eggs? Am I missing something here?

Ive seen some folks making OEs with SBELs. SBEL are ameraucaua x leghorn, so are heterozygous for the blue gene. So if you cross these with a dark brown egg layer, wouldn't only half of these offsprings lay olive eggs? Am I missing something here?
While that is true, you typically can select for pea comb with about 93% probability that any pea comb hens will have blue egg laying gene because of the locus of each gene they are typically inherited together.

Back
Top Bottom