The Olive-Egger thread!

Ok I am new to the OE world and I am wanting to get into it but I am trying to figure out what hen I want to use. I have a BCM rooster and I am wanting to get an Ameraucana hen but I don't know what color. I looked at the pics here on the page but I can't tell what the parents were. Can you post some pics for the different OE from different parents?
Like a BCM with a buff ameraucana , post a pic of one and the put the parents? I am also playing around with the idea of a Rhodebar and a Buff Ameraucana. Has anyone used a Rhodebar rooster for their OE?

I really appreciate any pictures you post for this questions. There really need to be a website or a book make with stuff like this. I know it isn't a for sure thing due to the up line of the parents but it is an idea.
Thank you!!!
Oh this is the one OE I had but she passed away at the end of last year.

Ok I am new to the OE world and I am wanting to get into it but I am trying to figure out what hen I want to use. I have a BCM rooster and I am wanting to get an Ameraucana hen but I don't know what color. I looked at the pics here on the page but I can't tell what the parents were. Can you post some pics for the different OE from different parents?
Like a BCM with a buff ameraucana , post a pic of one and the put the parents? I am also playing around with the idea of a Rhodebar and a Buff Ameraucana. Has anyone used a Rhodebar rooster for their OE?

I really appreciate any pictures you post for this questions. There really need to be a website or a book make with stuff like this. I know it isn't a for sure thing due to the up line of the parents but it is an idea.
Thank you!!!
Pick a line and color that are good layers. See if you can get a lay rate from the breeder.

Thank you!!!

My first batch of Olive Eggers were from this pair (top 2 pics) a Birchen Marans rooster over an Easter Egger hen. Some of the pullets produced (slightly less than 1/2) laid pinkish brownish eggs. My EE must have had only 1 blue egg gene. The shades of green produced from the others varied from a light gray/green, to a darker olive green, to a bright dark green. One hen who laid the darkest brightest egg is not pictured here, but she was solid black and I actually mistook her for a pure birchen at first. Her comb was sort of pea like, but not like the others. This is why I always trap nest each hen before selling/breeding them! Now I only hatch one breed at a time unless I know they will look very different from each other. Also, it is said that an OE hen is more likely to lay olive eggs if she has a pea comb (talking about EE crosses here) because the pea comb and blue egg gene are often inherited together. Almost half of my pullets from this cross that had pea combs still laid brown eggs, so more likely, but definitely not always. All of my straight combed birds did lay brown, but like I said one OE had a comb that was really in between straight and pea shaped.

My next OE project will be the same rooster over a pure Ameracauna. This way all pullets produced will lay olive eggs.

Sebastion - Birchen Marans Roo Father

Pretty Bird - Easter Egger hen Mother

Olive Oil - Olive Egger Pullet

Brown egg laying pullet

Brown egg laying pullet

Olive Egger pullet

Brown egg laying pullet straight comb
Eggs produced by pullets from pair (the green eggs and the front right brown egg)

Young pullet not yet laying (from same pair) I love her looks. This pic is a bit old, she really is stunning now!

My first batch of Olive Eggers were from this pair (top 2 pics) a Birchen Marans rooster over an Easter Egger hen. Some of the pullets produced (slightly less than 1/2) laid pinkish brownish eggs. My EE must have had only 1 blue egg gene. The shades of green produced from the others varied from a light gray/green, to a darker olive green, to a bright dark green. One hen who laid the darkest brightest egg is not pictured here, but she was solid black and I actually mistook her for a pure birchen at first. Her comb was sort of pea like, but not like the others. This is why I always trap nest each hen before selling/breeding them! Now I only hatch one breed at a time unless I know they will look very different from each other. Also, it is said that an OE hen is more likely to lay olive eggs if she has a pea comb (talking about EE crosses here) because the pea comb and blue egg gene are often inherited together. Almost half of my pullets from this cross that had pea combs still laid brown eggs, so more likely, but definitely not always. All of my straight combed birds did lay brown, but like I said one OE had a comb that was really in between straight and pea shaped.

My next OE project will be the same rooster over a pure Ameracauna. This way all pullets produced will lay olive eggs.

Brown egg laying pullet

Brown egg laying pullet

Olive Egger pullet

Eggs produced by pullets from pair (the green eggs and the front right brown egg)

Young pullet not yet laying (from same pair) I love her looks. This pic is a bit old, she really is stunning now!
Good Job on breeding!

Brown egg laying pullet

Brown egg laying pullet

Olive Egger pullet

Wow that was great. Yea because you never really know what you will get when breeding with an EE, I have chosen to use the pure blood Ameracauna. But I am also thinking about using one of my cream leg bars. But again, I would like to see what they will look like.

Wow that was great. Yea because you never really know what you will get when breeding with an EE, I have chosen to use the pure blood Ameracauna. But I am also thinking about using one of my cream leg bars. But again, I would like to see what they will look like.
I have heard that if you use a creme legbar hen you can produce sex linked OE's. I know it works with barred varieties but the hen must be the barred one. Also the roo should not be white. I know there are people here who use legbars.

I have heard that if you use a creme legbar hen you can produce sex linked OE's. I know it works with barred varieties but the hen must be the barred one. Also the roo should not be white. I know there are people here who use legbars.

A BCM or Welsummer roo over a CCL hen would produce black sex links (or blue if the BCM is blue or splash). Do not use a Cuckoo Marans roo.
The other way to get a sex-link OE would be a black Ameracauna over a Cuckoo Marans hen.

If you use a black Am roo over a CCL hen, you will get blue egg laying Sex-links. A Barred Holland or California Grey hen will also give blue egg laying black sex-links when paired with a BBS Am roo.

Rhodebars lay very light tinted eggs, not a good thing if you want OE. You need the very dark brown egg genes.

This is a BCM over legbar pullet chick, about 6-7 weeks old.

Same cross (not same bird) about 6 weeks later. 90% or so have a crest, all have gotten golden copper on the hackles.

Back
Top Bottom