The Olive-Egger thread!

One of my young OE's gave me the largest chicken egg I've ever seen! What was inside? A regular yolk and white, and... another whole egg! She is a Birchen Marans x Easter Egger. No. This is not her usual egg! Anyone else seen this before?

I had that happen twice in one week. The second time we took a video. I posted it on this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/697007/weird-or-odd-eggs-pics/640

Someone else on that thread said they had a double yolker inside another double yolker!

Hello,

I have a small flock of Cream Legbars 5 hens and until last month one Roo. Sadly a hawk took my roo. I'm looking to get a new Roo and was thinking I'd get either a BCM or a black birchen Marans. I've been reading this thread and have a few questions.

1) I understand that a cross from a Back Roo would produce a Sex link with the pullets being all black and the Roos having a white spot on their heads. Does anyone have a picture of the cross with the Marans Roo and the CCL hen? Also a picture of an adult hen? My gals have a pretty big Crest and I'm wondering if the crest comes through with this cross?

2) My guess is the black birchen would also produce a sex link (silver instead of copper). Does anyone know for sure? Also are the eggs about the same darkness as the bcm?

3) From what I read the Marans are mellow birds but gosh the roos look huge compared to the hens. My gals are petite and I was wondering if the Marans are "gentlemen" when it comes to breeding. My guy would hunt bugs to impress all day for the gals and never mount without an invitation. I know each Roo is an individual but has anyone had any trouble with a marans being too aggressive with the gals?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Deborah

Hello,

I have a small flock of Cream Legbars 5 hens and until last month one Roo.   Sadly a hawk took my roo.  I'm looking to get a new Roo and was thinking I'd get either a BCM or a black birchen Marans.  I've been reading this thread and have a few questions.

1) I understand that a cross from a Back Roo would produce a Sex link with the pullets being all black and the Roos having a white spot on their heads.   Does anyone have a picture of  the cross with the Marans Roo and the CCL hen?   Also a picture of an adult hen?   My gals have a pretty big Crest and I'm wondering if the crest comes through with this cross?

2)  My guess is the black birchen would also produce a sex link (silver instead of copper).  Does anyone know for sure?   Also are the eggs about the same darkness as the bcm?

3)  From what I read the Marans are mellow birds but gosh the roos look huge compared to the hens.  My gals are petite and I was wondering if the Marans are "gentlemen" when it comes to breeding.   My guy would hunt bugs to impress all day for the gals and never mount without an invitation.    I know each Roo is an individual but has anyone had any trouble with a marans being too aggressive with the gals?

Thanks,
Deborah

Nearly any color of rooster will produce black sex links when bred to barred hens. You can't use a barred rooster or one that could be hiding a barring gene (such as white). If you use a BCM, the pullets will have a little gold on them. If you use a birchen, they will have a bit of silver instead. You could even use a blue or splash to get blues. My experience with legbars is pretty much non-existent but my silkie mixes tend to be crested, even if they only have one crested parent. It's likely most of your first generation crosses would have at least a small crest.

Hello,

I have a small flock of Cream Legbars 5 hens and until last month one Roo. Sadly a hawk took my roo. I'm looking to get a new Roo and was thinking I'd get either a BCM or a black birchen Marans. I've been reading this thread and have a few questions.

1) I understand that a cross from a Back Roo would produce a Sex link with the pullets being all black and the Roos having a white spot on their heads. Does anyone have a picture of the cross with the Marans Roo and the CCL hen? Also a picture of an adult hen? My gals have a pretty big Crest and I'm wondering if the crest comes through with this cross?

2) My guess is the black birchen would also produce a sex link (silver instead of copper). Does anyone know for sure? Also are the eggs about the same darkness as the bcm?

3) From what I read the Marans are mellow birds but gosh the roos look huge compared to the hens. My gals are petite and I was wondering if the Marans are "gentlemen" when it comes to breeding. My guy would hunt bugs to impress all day for the gals and never mount without an invitation. I know each Roo is an individual but has anyone had any trouble with a marans being too aggressive with the gals?

Thanks,
Deborah
Here are photos of BCM X CCL olive egger pullets:

You can see she is just starting to get a little color on her hackles. The next one is a little older:

This pullet is now a month older and very golden/coppery on her hackles. The crest comes through 80+% of the time so far.

Our Marans cock/erels are all calm and easy on the hens. I've never seen a Marans act what I would call aggressively except through the fence with another cock/erel, though most of that is a lot of posturing.

Dark brown egg genes are complicated and there are a LOT of them that no one fully understands at this point. In general, BCM lay the darkest egg of the Marans breed. However, there are surely poor BCM laying light eggs and other Marans varieties that lay dark. Know your breeder and their stock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom