The Olive-Egger thread!

Here are photos of BCM X CCL olive egger pullets:

You can see she is just starting to get a little color on her hackles. The next one is a little older:

This pullet is now a month older and very golden/coppery on her hackles. The crest comes through 80+% of the time so far.

Our Marans cock/erels are all calm and easy on the hens. I've never seen a Marans act what I would call aggressively except through the fence with another cock/erel, though most of that is a lot of posturing.

Dark brown egg genes are complicated and there are a LOT of them that no one fully understands at this point. In general, BCM lay the darkest egg of the Marans breed. However, there are surely poor BCM laying light eggs and other Marans varieties that lay dark. Know your breeder and their stock.

Thanks so much for the pictures. You have beautiful pullets. I'm still researching and thought the silver from the birchim looks very unique and would complement the legbar cross. My guess is I will go with a BCM because they are more available. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the pictures. You have beautiful pullets. I'm still researching and thought the silver from the birchim looks very unique and would complement the legbar cross. My guess is I will go with a BCM because they are more available. Thanks again!
These pullets are from our BCM breeder stock. We breed toward SOP and believe in using the best to breed for whatever purpose. There are a lot of inferior Marans out there, especially BCM since they have only been in the APA for a couple of years. Our birds are NOT perfect by any means, but we cull heavily for type. Here are some BCM eggs from our birds:

Last edited:

You may also think of trying Penedesenca since a few of us out here in California keep them. Union City does not get too hot but Penedesenca are a great breed for our area as they have superior heat tolerance and are super alert

Here are my two OE pullets. They are both crested. Half BCM, 1/4 CCL and 1/4 Ameruacana. The cockerels were also crested but I sold them already. The barred pullet does not photograph well. The black pullet is breath-taking.

Back
Top Bottom