The Olive-Egger thread!

How are the temperment with the roos? Do you think they would be ok arpund a bird as fragile as a showgirl?
Hello, not sure which breed of roos you were asking about? Were you directing the question to a specific person? There are many breeds that can be used to produce olive eggers. Marans, Welsummers, Ameracaunas, and Legbars are common. Personally, I've seen very gentle and very aggressive out of many breeds. I feel like it's the luck of the draw! Out of these 4 breeds I only have AM's (no mature roos to speak of yet, but my girls are very sweet) and Marans. My Marans roo is very nice, but he does make the heads of his favorites a bit bald from breeding.

How are the temperment with the roos? Do you think they would be ok arpund a bird as fragile as a showgirl?
Rooji, if you click on the "quote" button of the post you are asking about, it will show on your response like you are seeing right now. This way everyone can see what you are referencing.
smile.png

Our Marans cock/erels are very gentle. Sometimes the hens' back feathers will become worn from the male's toenails, but other than that we have never seen missing head/neck feathers and don't see the hens squawking or running away from the Marans. They are gentlemen and have NEVER even considered challenging a human. I know that disposition is at least partly inherited, and we wouldn't consider breeding aggressive males in any breed. We also have Isbar and Rhodebar cock/erels, and they are the same though perhaps more obviously amorous with the hens. If you were asking about the olive egger or Easter egger males, I have no idea...they are often quite a mix of breeds.

Thought I'd share my successful (100%) first time incubator hatch. I hatched these little girls :fl in my Brinsea mini advanced on Tues/Wed of this week. Five of them are f2 olive eggers and the other two are blue marans roo over EE hen, which hopefully will give me olive eggers. The EE lays a green egg and when I hatched out two of her eggs last year with a NH roo, the offspring laid a brown egg. Will this happen again or is there a chance that the babies will inherit the blue gene from mama? Same BM rooster.

Thought I'd share my successful (100%) first time incubator hatch. I hatched these little girls
fl.gif
in my Brinsea mini advanced on Tues/Wed of this week. Five of them are f2 olive eggers and the other two are blue marans roo over EE hen, which hopefully will give me olive eggers. The EE lays a green egg and when I hatched out two of her eggs last year with a NH roo, the offspring laid a brown egg. Will this happen again or is there a chance that the babies will inherit the blue gene from mama? Same BM rooster.

Nice chicks!

Your EE hen has a blue and a white egg shell gene. She can pass on or the other to the chicks so it would be a 50% chance of the egg shells being blue with her chicks. The other egg shell gene comes from the rooster.

Rooji, if you click on the "quote" button of the post you are asking about, it will show on your response like you are seeing right now.  This way everyone can see what you are referencing.  :)

Our Marans cock/erels are very gentle.  Sometimes the hens' back feathers will become worn from the male's toenails, but other than that we have never seen missing head/neck feathers and don't see the hens squawking or running away from the Marans.  They are gentlemen and have NEVER even considered challenging a human.  I know that disposition is at least partly inherited, and we wouldn't consider breeding aggressive males in any breed.  We also have Isbar and Rhodebar cock/erels, and they are the same though perhaps more obviously amorous with the hens.  If you were asking about the olive egger or Easter egger males, I have no idea...they are often quite a mix of breeds.  

I know about the quote thing hahah thanks though! I was just asking people in general because i have heard both sides of the story. "Dont raise bantams with standard and large fowl", "well i raise themn all togetyer and they do just fine"...that type if thing. So i was just wondering what peoples experiance usually was with oe roos even though they can come from all different breeds

Hello, not sure which breed of roos you were asking about? Were you directing the question to a specific person? There are many breeds that can be used to produce olive eggers. Marans, Welsummers, Ameracaunas, and Legbars are common. Personally, I've seen very gentle and very aggressive out of many breeds. I feel like it's the luck of the draw! Out of these 4 breeds I only have AM's (no mature roos to speak of yet, but my girls are very sweet) and Marans. My Marans roo is very nice, but he does make the heads of his favorites a bit bald from breeding. 

I was just asking anyone thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom