The Olive-Egger thread!

So I'm pretty sure I have a Cockerel. I bought some eggs 12 got 3 to hatch. I usually breed my own eggs but wanted some new breeds. Anyways I got a olive egger came in a brown egg but was told the hens eggs would be green. Well 1/3 made it. He really seems to have his fathers traits. Here are a few pictures of him. I highly doubt he's a hen ! Would he be god to breed with my dark layers? Or even colored layers ? That's if I keep him. He is a good looking chick! One of the prettiest I have had hatch in the lAst year. The lighting is bad but he has silver coming in on his wings and head. Furry green legs. So here we go ... Any opinions on breeding him in the future? or somehow it's a hen.
these pictures really do not do justice on how pretty he really is. Thanks in advance!!!!this chick is 4 half weeks .

Last edited:
So I'm pretty sure I have a Cockerel. I bought some eggs 12 got 3 to hatch. I usually breed my own eggs but wanted some new breeds. Anyways I got a olive egger came in a brown egg but was told the hens eggs would be green. Well 1/3 made it. He really seems to have his fathers traits. Here are a few pictures of him. I highly doubt he's a hen ! Would he be god to breed with my dark layers? Or even colored layers ? That's if I keep him. He is a good looking chick! One of the prettiest I have had hatch in the lAst year. The lighting is bad but he has silver coming in on his wings and head. Furry green legs. So here we go ... Any opinions on breeding him in the future? or somehow it's a hen. these pictures really do not do justice on how pretty he really is. Thanks in advance!!!!this chick is 4 half weeks .
If you look back at the chart, you will see that breeding back to dark brown from an OE will get you a percentage of white shelled eggs. The hens that pick up at least one blue shell gene will lay very dark green eggs. The rest will lay brown eggs because they will have two recessive white egg shell genes.

Updated pictures for this week. I'm still hoping Shamu can be a pullet
1f601.png
or am I still wrong?

Shamu 8 weeks

Marty 7 weeks

Shamu on left , Marty on right

Excuse Shamu's red highlights . Was being nosey when I was painting the coop yesterday.

Hello guys! Hoping to get some info on my bird here. She's about three months old, but I don't think she has a pea comb? (still very new). I do know she's from a splash marans over easter eggers. I'm guessing I'll end up with a nice dark brown egg from her then? Also, any idea if she's going to end up with a black comb? At three months, I was sure the black would have bled out by now - my lavender orps have lost a lot of the black on their combs, as you can see in the group picture below, and they're considerably younger.

And a group shot for good measure

Last edited:
Olive eggers probably won't have pea combs because they're mixes. Some of mine have fairly large combs, the welsumer x legbar crosses. But you should still get olive eggs.

Hello guys! Hoping to get some info on my bird here. She's about three months old, but I don't think she has a pea comb? (still very new). I do know she's from a splash marans over easter eggers. I'm guessing I'll end up with a nice dark brown egg from her then? Also, any idea if she's going to end up with a black comb? At three months, I was sure the black would have bled out by now - my lavender orps have lost a lot of the black on their combs, as you can see in the group picture below, and they're considerably younger. And a group shot for good measure
What a pretty girl! Unless you know what the parents of the easter egger was then you will have to wait and see for egg color.

Hello guys! Hoping to get some info on my bird here. She's about three months old, but I don't think she has a pea comb? (still very new). I do know she's from a splash marans over easter eggers. I'm guessing I'll end up with a nice dark brown egg from her then? Also, any idea if she's going to end up with a black comb? At three months, I was sure the black would have bled out by now - my lavender orps have lost a lot of the black on their combs, as you can see in the group picture below, and they're considerably younger.

Some dark pigmented chicken in the mix there....saw some black sexlinks with a lot of black here locally.
Wonders if the hatcheries are trying to carry the fibro birds(cemani, hmong, svart, etc) and they are getting mixed into other crosses.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom