The Olive-Egger thread!

My above box is a meat packing box it is a 18'' square it is card board lined with foam with a 15 w bulb room temp should be consistantly 70, do not put in sun. I have a thermometer, but don't measure humidity, never have I dry hatch, I just have a small water dish, then at first pip I add a sponge.
The pics below are a diff size box but it will help show how it is made...leave heat shield on line botom of box with foil

suspend wire over lamp, but not resting on lamp, my box wire is about 7 in. from floor of box, do not place eggs directly over lamp and eggs should not touch walls of incubator.

I also put a baby quilt in over wire. nothing at this point touches lamp- I have hatched over 100 chicks and a 15w bulb doesn't get too hot so if you are not relaxed about it at this point relax.

I hand turn lifting only the little pink lined window to keep in heat, and have a small water dish with copper penny in incubator.I test incubator for a couple of day, before putting in eggs, ( that is not true because I have tested this incubator out so many times but until you get your temp right test it.) if it is too cold I wrap with towel and keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too hot.

pretty much it,

these were hatched in the meat box from the above eggs

Next came these from the meat box...these eggs are the above chicks

These were not from the meat box, but the below are the chicks from the above eggs the box was an incubator I sent a gal in FL after hatching these chicks.

I had currently fired up this incubator again because the hen was sitting on 5 eggs and one was not fertile, so I gave her 2 more eggs (she is small) and currently I have 11 eggs in incubator. 8 have embryos, 3 went in today.

Last edited:
That might have to be a project we undertake this spring then! :-D Somebody had told me maran/ameraucana crosses are the best way to get get an olive-egger, but assumed that any brown/blue egg layer would possibly work.

Thanks!

I have a RIR roo and three ameraucana hens... do you think their babies would lay green colored eggs?

That might have to be a project we undertake this spring then! :-D Somebody had told me maran/ameraucana crosses are the best way to get get an olive-egger, but assumed that any brown/blue egg layer would possibly work.

Thanks!
IF your Ameraucana are really Ameraucana.
With RIR they will probably be more green than olive tho.

I'm okay with green vs. olive! I just want the color!

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by if they are 'really' ameraucana's? I know there seems to be some interchange between people saying 'easter-egger or ameraucana' ... we bought ours from a hatchery that did distinguish between the two. I was set on getting colorful eggs!

I'll have to go back and browse a little through this thread to see what you mean... as like I said -- I assumed that by crossing my blue layers with a brown boy I'd continue to get colorful eggs.

Quote: Hatcheries sell Easter Eggers as if they are purebred Ameraucanas. I have 4 EE. They were suppose to be Ameraucanas, but they're a mix (making them EE). Only 1 is laying so far and her's is a greenish with a hint of blue rather than a beautiful true blue.

So
My above box is a meat packing box it is a 18'' square it is card board lined with foam with a 15 w bulb room temp should be consistantly 70, do not put in sun. I have a thermometer, but don't measure humidity, never have I dry hatch, I just have a small water dish, then at first pip I add a sponge. The pics below are a diff size box but it will help show how it is made...leave heat shield on line botom of box with foil suspend wire over lamp, but not resting on lamp, my box wire is about 7 in. from floor of box, do not place eggs directly over lamp and eggs should not touch walls of incubator. I also put a baby quilt in over wire. nothing at this point touches lamp- I have hatched over 100 chicks and a 15w bulb doesn't get too hot so if you are not relaxed about it at this point relax. I hand turn lifting only the little pink lined window to keep in heat, and have a small water dish with copper penny in incubator.I test incubator for a couple of day, before putting in eggs, ( that is not true because I have tested this incubator out so many times but until you get your temp right test it.) if it is too cold I wrap with towel and keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too hot. pretty much it, these were hatched in the meat box from the above eggs Next came these from the meat box...these eggs are the above chicks These were not from the meat box, but the below are the chicks from the above eggs the box was an incubator I sent a gal in FL after hatching these chicks. I had currently fired up this incubator again because the hen was sitting on 5 eggs and one was not fertile, so I gave her 2 more eggs (she is small) and currently I have 11 eggs in incubator. 8 have embryos, 3 went in today. [/quote Sooooo cool... What is a meat box. I want to try this same thing out... Sooooo cool

Thanks! We did purchase specifically ameraucanas they offered instead of the 'easter-eggers' for sale after doing a little bit of research on that aspect. I (almost
wink.png
) have more blue eggs than what I know what to do with. I guess since the hatchery had both EE and ameraucanas they could have sent us anything... but I would hope that wasn't the case.

Back
Top Bottom