The Olive-Egger thread!

The way I read this it is a BCM hen bred to Lavender Ameraucana roo and then that hen bred back to a CL roo. I am missing something if that crossing doesn't make green eggs all the time. It would seem there are a lot more blue egg genes in that cross than in the original cross. Kern
Hi Kern!

When you breed the BCM to a laventar AM, The OE (olive egger) will only have one blue egg shell gene. When bred to the CL, he may not have two blue egg shell genes. There are still some recessive white genes in them sadly. The same is true for AMs. You will sometimes get a blue egg laying CL or AM and they will have a recessive white egg shell gene.

The answer is that the CL rooster must not be double blue! He would need to be removed from breeding.

Good Afternoon,

I have a quick question. I have some olive egger hens that are a cross from a BCM rooster and a Black Ameraucana hen. The are F1's and lay a pretty olive egg. If I breed those F1 olive egger hens back to another BCM rooster will the eggs get a darker olive color on the generation? I have seen the chart where it shows breeding an F1 olive egger to a dark brown egg layer will produce darker olive colored eggs, but it doesnt say if it needs to be certain roosters or hens. Like a olive egger hen to a BCM rooster or if it needs to be an olive egger rooster and a BCM hen. Please help me out. I am trying to decide on my breeding pen for the year and try to get my own olive eggers. Thanks.

William

Good Afternoon,

I have a quick question. I have some olive egger hens that are a cross from a BCM rooster and a Black Ameraucana hen. The are F1's and lay a pretty olive egg. If I breed those F1 olive egger hens back to another BCM rooster will the eggs get a darker olive color on the generation? I have seen the chart where it shows breeding an F1 olive egger to a dark brown egg layer will produce darker olive colored eggs, but it doesnt say if it needs to be certain roosters or hens. Like a olive egger hen to a BCM rooster or if it needs to be an olive egger rooster and a BCM hen. Please help me out. I am trying to decide on my breeding pen for the year and try to get my own olive eggers. Thanks.

William
Your Olive Egger hens will only have 1 copy of the blue egg gene so if you breed them to a brown layer only half of her babies will get that gene, so only half of her daughters will layer a darker olive egg, the other half will lay regular dark brown.

I am not sure if the mom or dad being the OE makes a difference.

I have a question. I've been getting two different kinds of olive eggs. One is smooth shiny and rich color. One looks olive underneath a very thick bloom layer. They are not as intense green and have a much rougher texture. They also differ in size. Consistent with others of the same kind, but not each other. Could they be coming from the same pullet? I was giving credit for the rougher bloomier ones to a different pullet, but she apparently just laid her first egg and it's actually sky blue! I don't know who else it could be! I'll try and look back at my charts and see if any are laid the same day, I think they were. I just found my smooth bright olive Egger had been hiding her eggs in a nest in the coop attic, and with the other pullet laying blue, I'm in a quandary. Either my olive Egger (I caught her in the act today) was differentiating laying shiny smoothes in the attic nest and rough bloomy ones in the nest box, or there is something strange going on....haha

Shiny, bright, smooth on left, rough bloomy on right.

Shiny on top, bloomy on bottom.

Her secret nest in the attic!

The darkest shiny one was today's egg. Still warm with her peeking over the edge of the loft singing her egg song.

Last edited:
I have a question. I've been getting two different kinds of olive eggs. One is smooth shiny and rich color. One looks olive underneath a very thick bloom layer. They are not as intense green and have a much rougher texture. They also differ in size. Consistent with others of the same kind, but not each other. Could they be coming from the same pullet? I was giving credit for the rougher bloomier ones to a different pullet, but she apparently just laid her first egg and it's actually sky blue! I don't know who else it could be! I'll try and look back at my charts and see if any are laid the same day, I think they were. I just found my smooth bright olive Egger had been hiding her eggs in a nest in the coop attic, and with the other pullet laying blue, I'm in a quandary. Either my olive Egger (I caught her in the act today) was differentiating laying shiny smoothes in the attic nest and rough bloomy ones in the nest box, or there is something strange going on....haha
Probably not.
Shape is usually pretty consistent, color can vary a bit.
The blue egg is just not covered with the brown coating that makes them green....can happen occasionally.

Probably not.
Shape is usually pretty consistent, color can vary a bit.
The blue egg is just not covered with the brown coating that makes them green....can happen occasionally.

No. The blue egg was a small pullet egg streaked with blood and she's been laying a blue egg every day since. They are growing slowly in size with consistent color. The rough bloomy olives are much bigger than her blue pullet eggs. She didn't lay large olive eggs and then switch over to small blue. If there is going to be an inconsistency, it wouldn't be that. Much higher likely hood that the color and bloom layer and smaller inconsistency and size from the actual olive Egger.

How do you guys advertise chicks? I have some hatchery stock EEs x with BCM roosters. Also have F3 olive Egger eggs in the incubator now x with the BCM roos.
I know they won't all lay olive eggs.. but whats the percentage of the ones that will?

Last edited:
How do you guys advertise chicks? I have some hatchery stock EEs x with BCM roosters. Also have F3 olive Egger eggs in the incubator now x with the BCM roos.
I know they won't all lay olive eggs.. but whats the percentage of the ones that will?
I would start in the auction threads
People are all over them and you don't have to do any advertising
Once people want what you got you can go off from there
I would buy some

I've been pondering this myself...

The only way to advertise them as truly OE chicks would be to have pure breed blue layers(with 2 blue egg genes) crossed with brown layers.

Using EE's and/or OE's there's no guarantee the one blue gene will pass, so advertising the chicks as OE's is not ethical, IMO.
Unless you keep them until they lay olive eggs, then selling them as OE's.

My dark egg layers aren't laying, so I just have Sex linked EEs. Needing observations from someone more experienced....my very first attempt at hatching my own eggs.

Am roo over barred SBEL....are these two boys or four boys? Two of them have very faint dots and two are large dots (fifth chick has no dot). One of these chicks is from a Barred Rock, but the rest are from the SBEL.

Hopefully I'll have pics of OEs soon!

Back
Top Bottom